(800) 973-1540

Can irrevocable POA be revoked after all?

1 answer | Last updated: Apr 26, 2010

If my brother was made my dad's irrevocable power of attorney, is there any way to get this changed? My brother has left the country and as far as I know not planning to return.

Caring.com User - Steve Weisman
Steve Weisman hosts the nationally syndicated radio show A Touch of Grey, heard on more than 50 stations, including WABC in New York City...

A Durable Power of Attorney is always revocable by the person appointing someone to act on his or her behalf. The only problem is that in order for a person See also:
My mother gave power of attorney to her new husband, who is putting her life in danger. How can we get it away from him?
to revoke his or her Durable Power of Attorney, he or she has to be of sound mind. If your father is now mentally incapacitated, he would not be able to revoke the Durable Power of Attorney. However, if your father is still of sound mind he can choose to either revoke the earlier Durable Power of Attorney and make a new one naming someone else to be able to act on his behalf. He also can have more than one Durable Power of Attorney so that even if he does not revoke the earlier Durable Power of Attorney, he can grant the same powers to someone else through the creation of a new Durable Power of Attorney. If your father is not capable of making a new Durable Power of Attorney at this time, you can get the authority to act on his behalf through a guardianship petition in court.