Can lipomas cause pain?

Retasueus asked...

I have several large lipomas on my lower right side. I experience a lot of pain in that area especially when standing and after sitting for awhile. I was told that they couldn't cause pain by my doctor but I read that they can press on your nerves. The pain I experience is not located in my hip. I was wanting to know if lipomas can cause pain.

Lipomas are non-cancerous growths made up of fat cells. They usually do not generally require treatment, as they tend to be painless. Lipomas mostly are removed because of cosmetic reasons. Rarely, they can become painful if they become infected, interfere with movement or function, or become very large. Most lipomas can be removed in the doctor's office or surgery center. It is a simple procedure, where the surgeon gives an injection to numb the area, removes the lipoma, and then closes the wound with stitches.

My advice to you would be to schedule a visit with a general surgeon to have your lipomas evaluated, to see if they think that removing them may be helpful and decrease your pain. Good luck.