Senior Commons at Powder Mill

1775 Powder Mill Road, York, PA, 17403

Reviews of Senior Commons at Powder Mill

nancyc36 February 10, 2015

My sister and I visited many assisted living communities in the York Area before we chose Senior Commons at Powder Mill for our mother. It was the nicest and cleanest place by far. We both felt the community was absolutely beautiful and smelled wonderful. Our mother was very lonely and depressed after the death of our father. She was not eating very much and most of her friends were not able to get out anymore even to attend church. She has made many new friends. They have so many activities. She enjoys the musical performances and devotions and her exercise class. Mother often comments on how helpful all the staff are. Her room is small but she has her own bathroom and we were allowed to bring all of her furniture from home. My sister and I feel confident we made the right choice and feel assured our mother is in great hands.

lovemymotherinlaw February 08, 2015

When my mother-in-law needed to be placed in a facility, my husband and I decided to tour Senior Commons at Powder Mill.

We often heard about their reputation, which was very good and has remained that way. Our tour especially enhanced that.

Location was important to us as well and they are conveniently located close to doctors' offices, shopping and two hospitals if necessary.

When we entered the facility, the first thing we noticed was a very cozy fireplace in the lobby. The facility was absolutely immaculate.

During our initial tour it was clearly evident that the marketing director was extremely knowledgeable and was able to answer all of our questions. Out of the other facilities we visited, this one was clearly the most kind and generous to their visitors and residents. The staff and residents were happy.

We especially liked the idea that everything was on one floor and it would allow her to navigate very easily. The small dining rooms were also a unique feature. The food looked and smelled delicious.

She has now been a resident for approximately three months. She has a lovely cozy private room. She has made friends and, after many years of living alone, she once again has real purpose in life.

They offer so many things to keep her engaged. One of the best features about Senior Commons at Powder Mill was they had a lot of activities and a very large activity room. We were even encouraged to attend events and have enjoyed seeing some great entertainers.

The Management is very caring. The staff is amazing and genuinely care about every resident that lives there. The entire staff actually knows everyone by name which makes it feel much more like home than "being in a home". The facility does a great job of finding and keeping the right people to serve their residents.

I would highly recommend and have recommended Senior Commons at Powder Mill to anyone looking for quality care for their loved one.

tootie17331 January 14, 2015

We were very excited when we visited Senior Commons in looking for an assisted living facility for my Mother who has dementia. It very very clean, neat just a beautiful place. After talking with the social worker and doing a tour we were sold. We were assured that they were capable of handling dementia patients and staff was trained. It was recommended that we hire a company to provide personal care 24-7 until she "transitioned", which we did. After Mom was here for a few days it became quite apparent that they were not equipped to handle dementia patients unless they are drugged, non verbal and sit all day. Mom likes to be active and move around. Almost every time we visited something was missing from her room and the next time it would turn up. We believe they hid her things and then brought them back. Everytime she did something a little odd, they acted like it was a big deal? Its a dementia floor correct? Anyway long story short she's no longer there and I would not recommend placing a loved one there unless they are non verbal and non mobile.

We are terribly sorry that your Mom’s experience at Senior Commons at Powder Mill wasn’t positive. We are dedicated to helping residents and their families make a smooth transition into our care ~ which was the reason for the personal aide. Our nurses and caregivers do receive specialized training on Alzheimer’s and dementia. However, no two residents are alike and the manifestations of the disease are different for every person. We have many residents who are in the early stages of the disease ~ residents who wander, who like your Mom, like to be “busy.” We also have residents who have aged-in-place and remain at Senior Commons as their disease progresses. We will add your comments to our Quality Improvement program so that they become part of our discussion on how we can continue to strive to provide the best possible care

Caring84642250 May 30, 2014

I had been to Senior Commons several times, and I had friends who had moved there. I thought it was very neat and nice. The staff in the dining room was very cheerful. The rooms were very nice, but small. I liked the attitude of the people. They seemed to be busy folks. They had nice little parties. It was closest to my home, and I would recommend it to anybody who could afford it.

Kathy74290750 December 01, 2013

My mother was at Senior Commons and she got kicked out of there. I'll never have anybody go there ever. I do not recommend that place at all. Firstly, she doesn't have a handicapped bathroom in her room and that was really hard on my mother getting on and off the toilet. Mom couldn't even take a shower in her room and they had to take her downstairs in order for her to have a shower. Then, we had a problem with their call button that didn't always work. One time my mom called for their staff and it took them 45 minute to get to her room and they said that they were giving a tour. My mom said, "What if I would have fallen?" and they said, "Well, you didn't." So staff members weren't very nice sometimes. Most of them were nice though. What this facility could improve on was having handicapped rooms and showers. They need to upgrade those.

Thank you for taking the time to review Senior Commons. Despite our best efforts to meet residents’ needs, there are times when some residents require a level of care and services that we can not provide. I am sorry that you felt that your mother was ‘kicked out.’ We always make every effort to allow residents to age in place ~ including transporting residents to a larger shower so that they can get the assistance that they need. Please feel free to contact Senior Commons directly if there were specific staff that were not ‘nice.’ We expect our employees to treat residents as if they were family and if there are specific complaints, we would definitely want to address them.

From Senior Commons at Powder Mill

Senior Commons at Powder Mill provides assistance to residents in a safe and caring environment while providing family members with the comfort of knowing that their loved one is being professionally cared for and is enjoying life.

The care and support of the staff at Senior Commons at Powder Mill allows residents the opportunity to live life to its fullest. They receive the extra care and assistance they need with daily tasks, monitoring of their health levels and nutritional needs and support for their hobbies and interests with a full calendar of activities.

RESIDENTIAL CARE AMENITIES

All private and semi-private suites come with the following amenities:

• Room service breakfast served daily
  • Two restaurant-style meals and evening snack served daily
  • Laundry, linen and housekeeping services
  • Daily bed making
  • Daily social, recreational and devotional activities and programs
  • Transportation to doctors' appointments and group outings
  • All utilities (except phone)
  • Cable TV (except premium channels)
  • Mail and newspaper delivered to room
  • Kitchen pantry, dining room and lounge on each wing
  • Spacious activity and dining room
  • Outdoor courtyards
  • Secure, 24-hour monitoring of hallways and social areas
  • Personal care assistance (4 levels)
  • In-house geriatric specialist appointments
  • Medication assistance
  • 24-hour nursing personnel on duty
  • 24-hour emergency response system

Senior Commons at Powder Mill has a warm feeling of "home" when you enter the community. We serve a hot breakfast in your room daily and have smaller, more intimate size neighborhood dining rooms for socializing during your lunch and dinner meals. Residents have the opportunity to age in place as we provide independent living, personal care services as well as two levels of memory care services.

Features of Senior Commons at Powder Mill

• Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Physical therapy
  • 24 hour nurses: Yes
  • Hospice care

• Housing extra: Standard Private Rooms, Large Private Rooms, Standard Suites, Large Suites
  • Companion suites: We offer companion suites

• Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Fitness room/Gym, Library, W/D in apt.

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $4,000/month

• Pets: No pets allowed
  • Staff patient ratio: 25 to 1 Personal Care; 5 to 1 Memory Care
  • We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 55

• Licenses: Dept. of Public Welfare Personal Care License
  • State License(s): 320400

• We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

Location of Senior Commons at Powder Mill