What to do when his family doesn't care?

Landlady asked...

I have been his landlady for about ten months. At first, he was the perfect tenant. Early in May, we took him to the hospital. His blood pressure was elevated, his blood sugar was through the roof and he could not make a coherent sentence. I was told he had a stroke even though I saw no physical symptoms. After he was discharged, his mental confusion gradually diminished. Now it is back and he has developed physical symptoms. Incontinence, loss of balance, confusion, inability to swallow. His family has turned their back on him. I honestly don't know what to do with him. I now he is a diabetic and has high blood pressure. And he abuses pain medication.

Landlady answered...

Update: Several days ago I found my renter behind the camper unresponsive. Both feet were black. He is now in the local hospital in ICU. Doc says he will lose at least part of one foot. She was surprised he lived through the night. I had called the Endangered Elderly hotline. They were supposed to check on him within 48 hours, but it took over ten days for them to arrive. I tried to file a writ to have him evaluated, but was told I could not. Every door I tried slammed in my face. This poor man fell through the cracks. Will this also be my fate?

Unfortunately your story is too common. Fortunately for your tenant he has a caring landlord. Most landlords would have evicted him by now. The only answer I have for you is to contact someone in your area who deals with Guardian and Conservatorship. He definitely needs a Guardian. Conservatorship may be moot depending on his assets. I'm thinking that he doesn't have much since no greedy relatives have shown up. If you can't find a resource for finding a Guardian contact your court Probate Division. You might need to report to the police that he is an adult in danger. They can probably get help. Unfortuantely, you will have to make a witch of yourself. Feel free to change the "w" to another letter. In these cases a "kind" attitude only gets you brushed under the rug. I do thank you for helping him though. Good luck