What can my mom's doctor give her for extreme muscle pain?

1 answer | Last updated: Nov 30, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

What can my mom's doctor give her for extreme muscle pain? She is going thru Avraxane treatment now. I know there is more he can do. Do you have any ideas?


Expert Answers

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

After reading your question, my first thought is you should call your mom's doctor and tell him that your mom is in a lot of pain. I don't know the medication you mentioned (I suspect there was a typo or it was spelled wrong). It's similar to something used for chemotherapy. Tell the doctor that you're worried about your mom and that she's in pain. You should know that doctors have an ethical and professional obligation to treat pain. There are many drugs that can help with this. A few other things to think about: Perhaps this doctor has no clue that your mom is in pain. She may not have communicated this to the doctor. Many people don't complain of pain, or feel it's a normal part of aging and don't like making a big deal about it. It's not. It can be treated. It's important that your mom is communicating well with her doctor. If her doctor doesn't take her pain seriously, you may want to change doctors. So the first thing you need to do is communicate with your mom's doctor, then make sure there's follow-through. Most doctors today recognize the need to treat pain, and are aware of the many approaches to this, so I'm optimistic your mom will have relief.