(800) 973-1540

Is it time for hospice?

2 answers | Last updated: Jun 23, 2014
An anonymous caregiver asked...

Caring.com User - Andrew Putnam
Caring.com Expert
Send a Hug or Prayer
Andrew Putnam, M.D. is a Palliative Care physician at Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale University.
67% helpful

I am sorry about your husband. When someone is as sick as your husband is, it is appropriate to call a hospice that serves your area and talk with them. See also:
Tech Tools for Long-Distance Caregiving - Part I

See all 152 questions about Hospice
They offer many services that can be helpful including nurses visits and occasionally doctor's visits to your home. If you sign onto hospice, you would designate one of your husband's doctors to be his doctor for the hospice. That should be the one who knows him well if possible but also the one who seems to care the most about your husband's comfort. The hospice will help with coordinating care. Many times the confusion of care with different doctors can be controlled by involving hospice making its visits to the house and coordinating with one doctor. The hospice will help deal with the medications that help with his comfort.


More Answers
100% helpful
brenda s answered...

The best advice that I can give is to call your local hospice (or hospices) and ask for the type of services they can provide to you and your husband. Some hospices have palliative care and home care options in addition to traditional hospice care. Also, some hospices have education, support groups, and counseling for caregivers such as you whose loved ones may or may not be in hospice care. Ask the person you talk to over the phone if it is possible for a hospice professional to come to the house to evaluate your husband for hospice care. Usually a nurse or physician will come to your home at no charge to evaluate whether hospice care is an option.


Ask a question Ask a question | Add an answer Add an answer