Swelling in abdomen, legs, and feet bad. Should I see a specialist?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Casey123 asked...

Since back surgery. Fusion lumbar with hardware due to a fall and shattered my back....taking lasix but not getting much relief..should I see a specialist for this...? It's been 7 weeks since surgery . So uncomfortable with ll the heaviness of he fluid in my abdomen

Expert Answers

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

Yes, you need to see your primary doctor right away. Fluid in your abdomen is called ascities. This is most commonly caused by liver problems, while heart failure is rarely the cause. This is why the lasix may not be helping you much. You need a full diagnostic workup to figure out why this is happening to you. Good luck!