What kind of doctor should I take my husband to for the edema in his knee?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 22, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

My husband fell off a horse and hurt his knee and calf. The knee has gotten well, but the calf muscle is staying swollen and has began to build fluid, hot to touch, and red. If he sits for a long period of time it gets very stiff, and he has to walk on his toes. When it seems as though it gets better if something hits it just right it as if he is reinjured. He told me that his other leg is beginning to retain fluid, you can press on his legs and it is pitted when you remove your fingers. He works off and I am not able to see the other leg, but the calf I have seen and it is very swollen. His father suffers from heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, he has undergone all types of surgeries. There is a terrible history when it comes to the heart in this family.I have gotten online and read about edema and am certain that he must immediately see a Dr. when he gets in. I want to get your thoughts on this and what type of Dr./Specialist would you see?

Expert Answers

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

Reading your letter, I must tell you that I do not like the sound of this. I think he might have a blood clot in the leg, also known as a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). He needs to be seen by either his doctor today, or he should go to the Emergency Room, as this can be dangerous!