Social Security has made an error, and refuses to fix it. How can we get it corrected?

1 answer | Last updated: Oct 07, 2016
Mary mullins asked...

My father passed away. My mother already had a Medicare card in her name and SSN. Now Social Security has issued a new card with the incorrect name to her with my father's SSN on it for her use and when called, they refuse to change the name or SSN. How do we get this corrected?

Expert Answers

Mary Koffend is the president of Accountable Aging Care Management (AACM), an eldercare consulting and care management firm that works with elder clients and their families to find the best care providers and services to meet their needs.

Your mother's status with Social Security changed when she became a widow. The Medicare card reflects her claim's relationship with Social Security. For example, the card she had previously showed that her relationship with Social Security was that she was entitled to benefits through her own work and had her Social Security number on the card with the proper letter designation to show that.

If she is now entitled to widow's benefits, the card will reflect your father's Social Security number and a different alpha code to reflect her relationship to your father. Based on the information you provided, Social Security and Medicare records are now set up to reflect your mother's new status. There does not appear to be an error that needs fixing.