How do move Mom from bed to chair to bathroom?

Any one have any advice on an easier way to move my Mom from bed to wheelchair, to bathroom. She can't walk without help and is so heavy!

As Founder and Director of Circles of Care, Ann Cason provides caregiving, consulting, and training services to individuals and public and private organizations involved in eldercare. She is the author of Circles of Care: How to Set Up Quality Home Care for Our Elders.

Moving a parent from bed to wheelchair to bathroom can be exhausting. If your dear mother is heavy there is danger of injuring yourself or her. Perhaps you could move her once a day and use a bedside commode the rest of the time. If the commode is placed correctly, your mother should be able to stand up, then turn, with little assistance, to sit down on the commode. Also, it is easy to bathe her while she sits there. In fact, with the proper basins, washcloths, aloe vera soap, as well as toothbrush and paste, most all of her personal care can be done at her bedside.

If you don't want to use a commode, I suggest that you hire a professional geriatric care manager, or physcial therapist or nurse from the visiting nurse service. For the safety of your mother and youself, let a professional work out a routine that is best for both of you. Even if you are very good at doing transfers, there is the danger of getting too tired which can lead to injury.

I hope other caregivers will be able to give you suggestions about this from their own experience. What you are doing is not easy. I wish you the very best as you care for your mother.

Bonney95 answered...

You don't say if you have limited space where you are. My Mother needed a hydraulic lift to help us get her out of bed and into a wheelchair. It looks large, but is really the best way to handle a heavy weight. We lifted her manually until both my sister and myself were worn out and our backs in danger. You may find enquiries about the loan or hire of a hydraulic lifter may help.-bonney95