Where can I turn for help with no insurance or money to pay for a psychiatrist?

2 answers | Last updated: Oct 10, 2016
Armybrat asked...

I just read the 11 warning signs of depression and realized I have 8 out of the 11 signs. I have tried to commit suicide 3 times over the years; in 1984, 2002, and 2010. I've been unemployed since Jan. 2010 so I don't have health insurance. I also left my husband recently who has been verbally and emotionally abusive in the 32 years we've been together. I've had panic attacks since 1994 due to the Northridge, CA earthquake and have a problem with organization and neatness to the point I've been told may be O.C.D. My question is where can I turn for help with no insurance or money to pay for a psychiatrist? I live in Bakersfield, CA. Thank you, D.F.

Expert Answers

Jennifer Serafin, N.P. is a registered nurse and geriatric nurse practitioner at the Jewish Homes for the Aged in San Francisco.

First, I am glad that you recognize the signs of depression in yourself. It sounds like you have had a tough time with leaving your husband and past trauma from the earthquake, but you are trying to make a new start.

In California, we have mental health services available through the California Department of Mental Health. If you have a computer, you can type this into your search engine and the home page should come up. If you click on this, you will find a section on the webpage for Mental Health Resources. There you will find phone numbers of various organizations throughout the state that can help you. You can also call the Bakersfield Department of Health and ask for information regarding available mental health services in your area.

You can also try to connect with a local Women's Shelter in your area, as they often have support groups and mental health services for abused women, which may help you get over your years of emotional abuse. Good luck!

Community Answers

Kit cat answered...

I hope you are able to find help. It is good that you are reaching out.

You can get on Medicaid (it's called Medi-cal in california) and this will pay for all your mental health services with no cost to you.

If you were turned down for Medicaid in the past, apply again now.

List yourself as unmarried and it's important to tell them or enclose a written statement that you are separated due to spousal abuse.

They will not count your husband's income if this is the reason for the separation. Do NOT list your husband on your application.

If you talk to someone on the phone that does not know this rule, ask to speak to a supervisor.