Do testosterone tests also check for other types of hormones?

Rgk0114 asked...

I had a hemorrhagic stoke center in the Thalimus gland. Can this be the cause of low testosterine? I'm thinking the damage to the gland is causing tertiary hypogonadism. I'm waiting the result of a testosterone test. Does the test also check the production of hormones GRH, TSH, and/or LH. If not, is the a test that can be done to check these?

Testosterone production is started in the hypothalamus, which produces gonadotrophin releasing hormone (GRH). This goes to the pituitary gland, stimulating it to release of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). These hormones travel through the bloodstream to activate the testicles in men to produce testosterone.

The thalamus is primarily involved in sensation and movement functions in the body. Since your stroke was in the thalamus (not the hypothalamus), this would have no effect on your hormone production at all, as the thalamus has no hormone functions.

Furthermore, there is no tertiary hypogonadism. Testosterone problems are caused by primary hypogonadism (problems with the testicles) or secondary hypogonadism (problems with the hypothalamus/pituitary glands).

The testosterone test you asked about will only test your free testosterone level in the blood. If you want to know your TSH, FSH, LH, and GRH, then you will need to have your health care provider order those tests in addition.

Rgk0114 answered...

to: Jennifer Serafin Actually after reading my medical records the stroke occured in the hypothalamus. It was a hemorrhagic stroke centered in the hypothalamus.