Is there a treatment for the brown spots in my eyes?

1 answer | Last updated: Oct 06, 2016
Annely asked...

I am a black African female from namibia, Southern Africa. Alot of my people have what an eye specialist diagnosed in me as 'ochular mellanosis' or mellanin occuring in the eyes. My eyes have brown spots, they look discoloured. Is there a treatment for this and because it has been around since my late teenage years can it have anything to do with jaundice?

Expert Answers

Lylas Mogk, M.D. is an ophthalmologist and director of the Henry Ford Visual Rehabilitation and Research Center in Grosse Pointe and Livonia, Michigan, and the author of Macular Degeneration: The Complete Guide to Saving and Maximizing Your Sight.

There is no treatment for the brown spots in your eyes and they are not associated with jaundice. If you notice them enlarging or changing color you should see your ophthalmologist.