Is there a program that will pay me to care for my dad if I quit my job?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Mickeymouse asked...

My dad has Alzheimer's and needs someone there 24/7 to care for and watch him. My mom is getting tired of doing it during the day while I am at work. Is there a program that will pay me for caring for my dad if I quit my job?

Expert Answers

Paula Spencer Scott is the author of Surviving Alzheimer's. A Met Life Foundation Journalists in Aging fellow, she writes extensively about health and caregiving; four of her family members have had dementia.

In about 15 states, Medicaid runs a Cash-and-Counseling program that pays seniors directly to cover their in-home care. The senior can then use that money to pay anyone, including family members. You can learn more about it and similar options here and in this Caring Currents blog post. Your Area Agency on Aging may be able to advise you as well. Type your location into's Local Resource Directory to find info on your Area Agency on Aging.