Can you advise me about how to talk to my grandmother's doctor?

How do I tell my doctor my grandmas medication isn't working and I want to try something else?

It's important for you to talk directly to your grandmother's physician and explain your concerns about the effectiveness of her current medication. It sounds as if you're hesitant to interfere with your grandmother's medical treatment, but you'll likely discover that the physician welcomes your feedback, as she may not realize that the medication is not working. Physicians rely on such information from patients and their families to make their diagnoses and treatment plans, and if you keep silent, you're preventing your grandmother from getting the best possible care. As long as you approach the physician with respect, she should be open to hearing what you have to say.

I would say: explain to your doctor why you have these concerns, for example which symptoms are not improving as expected, or if you are worried about side effects. Ask if your doctor would expect the medication to be working better by now and what the alternatives might be. If you doctor doesn't suggest any change, ask for a date to review the situation, and agree that you will monitor the things that have given you concern.

Kbeech answered...

Don't be afraid to speak up. Doctors are just people who go to the bathroom first thing in the morning like the rest of us. Unfortunately, most have huge egos that need stroking so they don't like being told what to do, even if you know better. Do some research about the medical condition and the medications that are available. That way when you talk with the doctor you will be able to ask specific questions. If you aren't informed and assertive you won't be able to effectively advocate. Your grandmother is lucky to have you.