What can I do to encourage my dad to wear his personal emergency response (PERS) device?

1 answer | Last updated: Dec 31, 2010

My dad, who has heart disease and a history of strokes, simply refuses to wear his personal emergency response system (PERS) device. We've tried all kinds -- a pendant, bracelet, even a belt clip -- but he says they're all uncomfortable. I've paid for the service and am anxious to know it's helping to protect him, so how can I get him past this resistance?

Littlesister answered...
It's so difficult dealing with free will! I also struggle with my dad over safety issues. I'm convinced he won't cooperate because he simply doesn't want too! How frustrating! I'm guess, though, is that it's just exceptionally hard for my dad to admit he needs help. How does you dad feel about wearing a cell phone on his belt clip? While it's not a true emergency response devise, it'll still call 911. Then when his neighbors stop by, for example, he's the hip guy with a new phone. It may also make him feel more independent, rather than the dependency a ERS may impose. Another idea is talking to your dad about other options, such as having someone stop in to check on him twice daily, for example. He may quickly realize that wearing a little devise is less intrusive than having to routinely communicate with a stranger. Good luck!