(800) 973-1540

Where do I get financial help for my 88 year old mother?

1 answer | Last updated: Jan 12, 2012
A fellow caregiver asked...

Where do I begin to get financial help for my 88-year old mother living alone in Fla.? She has $2,000 to her name and owns nothing.


Caring.com User - Joseph L.  Matthews
Caring.com Expert
Joseph L. Matthews is a Caring.com Expert, an attorney, and the author of Long-Term Care: How to Plan & Pay for It and...
100% helpful
A fellow caregiver answered...

There are several kinds of assistance available for your mother. Because of her age and low assets, she's almost surely eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), in addition to whatever See also:
Supplemental Security Income
Social Security benefits she receives. This could bring her an extra $600 to $800 per month. If she qualifies for SSI, she'd also qualify for Medicaid, which can pay almost all her medical bills that aren't paid by Medicare. Medicaid can also cover home care visits to your mother when she needs occasional help. She can apply for both SSI and Medicaid at her local county social welfare or social services office. One application can serve for both programs.

Medicaid eligibility also means that she can join a Medicare Part D prescription drug insurance plan for little or no monthly premium, and with the plan and she'll pay only a very small co-payment for prescription drugs.