How can I tell my mother she can no longer drive?

I am planning to tell my mother who has been recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's that she can no longer drive. Her neurologist has shown me significant brain lesions in her memory center on the MRI. Before the doctor takes her license away, or before an accident, I want to take the responsibility - and avoid any injuries to my mom or others, or hurt feelings by having my mom told by a stranger. i am dreading this. I actually am taking ulcer medication. My sibling does not live in the same country. Please help me with the dialogue... I know I will have to walk away with her car keys.

Dds answered...

It might be better to have the doctor do it- the outside authority often takes the conflict away-

Newby1961 answered...

Why you feel you need to be the fall guy or bad guy is beyond me? I think it would be better for her Dr to be the one, you can always be there if you want. Good luck

Just tired answered...

My problem is the Dr. has told my mother not to drive and she claims that it was just for two weeks. In fact not only the Doctor, Nurse, OT & PT told her no more driving the last time she was in the hospital. She kept arguing with them and finally said ok. So then she was discharged and told everyone it was just a suggestion that it was up to her. She has a mind of her own but with being present I feel responsible to see this through.