What is a breast fibroid and is it dangerous?

Praveena asked...

I went for a breast exam and found that I have a very small fibroid in my left breast, near the nipple. My question is, what is a fibroid, and is it dangerous?

Linda Ackerman, R.N. has clinical experience in oncology, women's health, and medical nursing. She has been practicing for more than 20 years and is a licensed registered nurse in both Florida and Wisconsin. In addition, she serves as a board member of Breast Cancer Recovery and the Wisconsin Cancer Council.

A fibroid is a benign growth in the breast that is solid, firm, smooth and usually painless or only slightly tender.

To respond to your question of dangerous. I would recommend that you and your physician discuss your individual treatment plan. Treatment may include careful monitoring to detect changes in the size or feel of the fibroid or surgery to remove it.

Aprilluvs answered...

Truthfully, if you have breasts, you probably have lumps and bumps, cysts and fibroids in them. They seem to become inflammed and tender as your period comes closer. It's completely normal.