I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). If I should...

I have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). If I should develop Alzheimer's how could one tell? I have been forgetful for as long as I can remember. (No pun intended.) When I was in school my mother would put my homework in my books, make sure I took the books to school and then call my teacher that the homework was in the book. I also get lost on familiar "trails".

Ladislav Volicer, M.D., Ph.D., is recognized as an international expert on advanced dementia care. He is a courtesy full professor at the School of Aging Studies, University of South Florida, Tampa, and visiting professor at the Third Medical Faculty, Charles University, Prague, Czech Republic. Twenty-five years ago, he established one of the first dementia special care units.

You do not say how old are you, but unless you have Alzheimer's disease in your family you do not have to worry about it until you are in your sixties. Symptoms to watch for would be repeating the same questions, not recognizing people you know and forgetting to take care of your hygiene.

Tornado answered...

I also have ADHD and was curious to read the answer, because this is something that I too have wondered about, but I was disappointed with the answer. It feels like the doctor is blowing her off, rather than taking her question seriously. Actually, I fit his criteria....I am in my mid fifties and have dementia in my family and have all those symptoms from time to time, so where does that leave me. The response was much too simplified.

I agree. I am not sure if my husband has dementia or not. He is 72 and no doctor has been able to say. He has always been forgetful and disorganised and has close family members who have or who have had dementia as well as Asperger's. He is also intelligent and well educated. This does not make it any easier for me as it is hard to know whether or not we should be given support or he should be given medication. (We in the UK. )

I am the woman who started this thread. If the "expert" had known I was in my 70s could he have given a more defenitive answer?