Reviews of VITAS Healthcare | Irvine, CA
Imhaywood April 16, 2012
I am a current client of this provider
I think this hospice care is awful. We have been using them for my grandmother for 6 months, and as her final days are approaching, we feel they just don't care. Her bedsores are being left with old band aids, and her medicine isn't arriving as promised. It took a week to get medicine we were told would arrive the next day. Just getting a nurse to check in is near impossible. It can take 12-14 hours for a nurse to show up after we call. I think a cable repairman could show up faster. She hadnt even been bathed in 5 days! Every independent nurse we've hired has said Vitas in the worst, and has said Hospice Care of California is better.
Caring59 August 22, 2011
I am a friend or relative of a resident
Vitas, a hospice provider, has been caring for my 89 year old mother for over 2 years. Because of the compassion and professional care given by their staff, my mom no longer has to go to doctors offices and wait for hours until she is seen. The doctors and nurses of Vitas visit mom in her home on a regular basis, order all her medicines, provide bathing services, religious services and assist with any questions I might have regarding my mom's condition. Vitas has made a difficult situation so much easier for me and my family.
gold44 May 16, 2011
Interviewed this provider
The nurses and aides were just wonderful. They were supportive when needed, efficient in their care, and always kept us informed. My Mother died as she wished in peace. My family felt we could trust those in charge and this gave us great relief. Our association with Vitas for this short period will be remembered as a gift we received from these very caring givers at our time of need.
From VITAS Healthcare
VITAS Healthcare®, the nation's leading hospice provider, delivers comprehensive care for patients facing life-limiting illness. Services include Intensive Comfort CareSM for acute symptom management; after-hours Telecare with immediate access to clinicians; specialized offerings for veterans and AL/LTC residents; educational in-services, grief/loss programs; outcome measurements and more. For more information, please visit us at VITAS.com or call 800.93.VITAS.
- Administrative Volunteers
- Patient Care Volunteers
- Telephone Assurance Program (TAP) Volunteers
- Pet Therapy (Paw Pals) Volunteers
- Music Therapy (Threshold Choir) Volunteers
- Volunteers trained to work with Veterans
- Bereavement Volunteers
- Memory Bear Volunteers
- Spiritual Volunteers
- Massage Therapy Volunteers
- Hair Stylist Volunteers
Special Veterans' Programs
- Recognition when admitted; patients who are Veterans receive Armed Forces Service-specific Certificate of Appreciation and hand-written note of gratitude for the Veteran's service
- Follow-up by Social Worker and/or Chaplain and/or Bereavement Services Manager, as appropriate, if the Veteran and/or family need assistance accessing benefits pre and post death.
- Special Veterans' Day events in the community (Senior Centers, Assisted Living Facilities, etc.)
- Special Memorial Day tribute to families of deceased Veterans
- Grief Support groups facilitated by VITAS staff (Chaplains and Bereavement Service Manager) in the community (Senior Centers, Assisted Living Facilities, etc.).
- Grief Education/Bereavement In-services offered in the community for both family members and friends of the deceased as well as staff members of Assisted Living Facilities, Board and Care facilities, etc.
- Memorial Services at Senior Centers and Assisted Living Facilities
- Caregiver Support Groups
- Specially focused bereavement groups such as those for adult women who recently experienced the death of their mothers; for parents grieving the death of an adult child; for the mentally ill.
- Specially focused bereavement workshops such as "Hope and the Holidays" ; "Remembering our Mothers".
- Veteran Program coordinated by VITAS staff member who is a retired Naval Officer.
- Memorial Programs open to the community (Fall Program prior to Thanksgiving; Spring Program prior to Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day)
- Serve as a Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) site: chaplain interns and residents compliment VITAS staff chaplains and all offer multicultural and interfaith (and in some situations, multilingual) spiritual care for patients and families pre and post death
Get full access to reviews, cost information, and amenities