VITAS Healthcare Houston, Texas

Reviews of VITAS Healthcare | Houston, Texas

Overview of Ratings

3.1

April 29, 2014

I have been living in Vitas for about a week. They’ve been very efficient about ordering equipment and getting my medications delivered. The problem is, I don’t get food. The staff is very nice, cordial, and very good.

December 13, 2013

VITAS Innovative Hospice Care of Houston did a very good job with my mom. She has only been there for 5 days. However, their service was very well done. I will recommend them to others.

November 28, 2013

By Caring73719150

We’ve been using Vitas for almost two weeks now for my dad. The hospice people are coming to his house. We have nurses, doctors, and volunteers and they are wonderful people. I would recommend them to others.

September 10, 2013

By Cindy wargo

I interviewed this provider

My dear best friend of 30yrs chose Vitas as her Hospise care while at Legend Oaks Nursing Home at Gessner and West Rd. I was present for the initial sales pitch, where she was promised 3 hr scheduled pain relief,math at someone would be there to make sure she got her meds on time, and a doc on call to handle status changes in her decline of life. NONE OF THESE THINGS HAPPENED! My. Friend, dying of throat cancer could not get morphine nor dilauted , because she could no longer swallow pills, and the nursing home swears, they started contacting VITAS early Wed am , asking for liquid Meds! Aug 22, the evening my dear friend passed, Vitas shows up at about 7 pm, and spends my friend's last,two hours hunting for a DR to get the Meds she needed! Worse yet, I approached her several times, tellingmhernhow much pain my friend weas in, and she never left her desk! My friend died with no pain Meds form36'hrs, passing from throat cancer and Crohns ! This is a horrible company!

May 24, 2013

By nevernever

When my mom was in inpatient care, it was wonderful. She got round the clock care with amazing doctors and nurses, who supported me and were available. When I had to move her to a nursing home, it was awful. My mother had a seizure and I could not contact the hospice doctor for days. Nobody would return my calls.They told me to try to find the doctor myself. I was going all over the nursing home trying to look for this doctor I had never seen before. I was so desperate for help and distraught that Vitas would not respond to me that I almost committed suicide. Worst time of my entire life. I still have post traumatic stress from the whole experience.

May 16, 2013

By bskel

Do NOT use Houston Vitas for your hospice care! Read this first! We hired them because they were referred to us by the nursing home where my mom was staying as she was nearing the end of her life and we wanted to be assured of a pain free last few days. I will leave out the horrible details but suffice it to say that I spent 48 hours trying to get morphine for my mother who was in horrible pain. Phone messages did not get forwarded, the nurse received messages that were never forwarded because it was her day off, the pharmacy lost the prescription UNBELIEVABLE INCOMPETENCE. My mother finally received the morphine 3 hours before she died after spending 2 days in horrible pain. I will never forgive myself for hiring such a worthless hospice care company.

July 27, 2011

By smscott

I dealt with vitas briefly at the end of my mothers life. Our initial nurse came to the hospital and assisted me with great caring and welcome honesty.the time my mother was in the facility was very brief but refreshingly gentle and kind.their follow up with me was consistent but not pushy.

June 03, 2009

By Kathy Hofmann

I used this service

Very disappointed with actual services offered, compared to the presentation given when we choose Vitas for my Grandmother's care. Planning to change providers, but to put her and us through more changes is insult to injury!! I can't even get calls returned, no scheduled times what-so-ever provided for nursing visits, volunteers or aides. Not the place to use when you need support

Features of VITAS Healthcare

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Ownership Type: Proprietary Corporation
  • Date Certified: 10/10/1989

About VITAS Healthcare

VITAS Healthcare®, the nation's leading hospice provider, delivers comprehensive care for patients facing life-limiting illness. Services include Intensive Comfort CareSM for acute symptom management; after-hours Telecare with immediate access to clinicians; specialized offerings for veterans and AL/LTC residents; educational in-services, grief/loss programs; outcome measurements and more. For more information, please visit us at VITAS.com or call 800.93.VITAS.

Services

• Paw Pals (pet therapy)
  • Music therapy
  • Special veteran's programs
  • Memory bears made from patient's garments
  • Lap blankets for all IPU patients