VITAS Healthcare | Houston, Texas

3131 Eastside St, Ste. 200, Houston, TX, 77098

Contact Now

Reviews of VITAS Healthcare | Houston, Texas

AnaBanana September 15, 2014

My recently deceased husband was a patient at the Memorial City site. Although his inpatient care was excellent, the care we received as a family after his death has been atrocious. Having anybody return phone calls is almost a lost cause - it's takes a minimum of between one and three days to get answers if you have a question. The doctor pronouncing his death left town before signing the death certificate, delaying cremation and interment at the national cemetery by weeks. Incomplete filling out of that certificate has resulted in the expense necessary to amend and revise the death certificate and cost of new corrected copies. My advice for anybody who needs hospice for their loved one is to choose another agency.

My name is Dionn Jones, I am the General Manager of VITAS Innovative Hospice Care of Houston. First of all, let me say that we feel deep sympathy for your loss. We understand how painful and difficult it is to lose a loved one, and we would like to offer our sincere condolences to you. We also regret to read your comments about our services which we take very seriously. As you know, our Patient Care Administrator has been in touch with you about the concerns and requests you made. If there is anything else we can help you with at any time, please call me at 713-663-4900 or contact me via email at Dionn.Jones@vitas.com. As the nation's leading provider of end-of-life care since 1978, we are proud of our high patient and family satisfaction scores and our commitment to providing the quality care and services for which our company is known. I hope to hear from you soon if you have any other matters we can help you with. Sincerely, Dionn Jones.

Angry in Atascocita July 23, 2014

My mother-in-law chose this facility because she felt that they'd taken good care of her father. What a mistake! Our main nurse and in home care giver are wonderful, but the time that they can spend is limited because the place is so short staffed, which says to me that they don't pay well. They say that someone will be there overnight or whatever if you need it, but they don't tell you how truly limited the situations where it is "needed" are. She had over 12 hours of sever agitation and sleeplessness before they finally sent someone, then they tricked us into sending her to their facility rather than pay for one more shift of in-home help, like we'd asked. They said that they could get the calming meds into her faster and stop the suffering more quickly in-patient, plus administer more oxygen than at home, so it was worth the trauma of moving her across town. Visited today and found out she'd finally gone to sleep on her own many hours after they took her. When we called at 11:30 the night before they said it wouldn't be long cecause they were waiting on the doctor. Didn't tell us it was until this morning. She could have stayed here and should have. I feel violated. I promised her that she could stay at home and would not have gone back on that unless convinced it was better for her.

Caring91036250 April 29, 2014

I have been living in Vitas for about a week. They’ve been very efficient about ordering equipment and getting my medications delivered. The problem is, I don’t get food. The staff is very nice, cordial, and very good.

Caring68393050 December 13, 2013

VITAS Innovative Hospice Care of Houston did a very good job with my mom. She has only been there for 5 days. However, their service was very well done. I will recommend them to others.

Caring73719150 November 28, 2013

We’ve been using Vitas for almost two weeks now for my dad. The hospice people are coming to his house. We have nurses, doctors, and volunteers and they are wonderful people. I would recommend them to others.

Cindy wargo September 10, 2013

I interviewed this provider

My dear best friend of 30yrs chose Vitas as her Hospise care while at Legend Oaks Nursing Home at Gessner and West Rd. I was present for the initial sales pitch, where she was promised 3 hr scheduled pain relief,math at someone would be there to make sure she got her meds on time, and a doc on call to handle status changes in her decline of life. NONE OF THESE THINGS HAPPENED! My. Friend, dying of throat cancer could not get morphine nor dilauted , because she could no longer swallow pills, and the nursing home swears, they started contacting VITAS early Wed am , asking for liquid Meds! Aug 22, the evening my dear friend passed, Vitas shows up at about 7 pm, and spends my friend's last,two hours hunting for a DR to get the Meds she needed! Worse yet, I approached her several times, tellingmhernhow much pain my friend weas in, and she never left her desk! My friend died with no pain Meds form36'hrs, passing from throat cancer and Crohns ! This is a horrible company!

nevernever May 24, 2013

When my mom was in inpatient care, it was wonderful. She got round the clock care with amazing doctors and nurses, who supported me and were available. When I had to move her to a nursing home, it was awful. My mother had a seizure and I could not contact the hospice doctor for days. Nobody would return my calls.They told me to try to find the doctor myself. I was going all over the nursing home trying to look for this doctor I had never seen before. I was so desperate for help and distraught that Vitas would not respond to me that I almost committed suicide. Worst time of my entire life. I still have post traumatic stress from the whole experience.

bskel May 16, 2013

Do NOT use Houston Vitas for your hospice care! Read this first! We hired them because they were referred to us by the nursing home where my mom was staying as she was nearing the end of her life and we wanted to be assured of a pain free last few days. I will leave out the horrible details but suffice it to say that I spent 48 hours trying to get morphine for my mother who was in horrible pain. Phone messages did not get forwarded, the nurse received messages that were never forwarded because it was her day off, the pharmacy lost the prescription UNBELIEVABLE INCOMPETENCE. My mother finally received the morphine 3 hours before she died after spending 2 days in horrible pain. I will never forgive myself for hiring such a worthless hospice care company.

smscott July 27, 2011

I dealt with vitas briefly at the end of my mothers life. Our initial nurse came to the hospital and assisted me with great caring and welcome honesty.the time my mother was in the facility was very brief but refreshingly gentle and kind.their follow up with me was consistent but not pushy.

Kathy Hofmann June 03, 2009

I used this service

Very disappointed with actual services offered, compared to the presentation given when we choose Vitas for my Grandmother's care. Planning to change providers, but to put her and us through more changes is insult to injury!! I can't even get calls returned, no scheduled times what-so-ever provided for nursing visits, volunteers or aides. Not the place to use when you need support

From VITAS Healthcare

VITAS Healthcare®, the nation's leading hospice provider, delivers comprehensive care for patients facing life-limiting illness. Services include Intensive Comfort CareSM for acute symptom management; after-hours Telecare with immediate access to clinicians; specialized offerings for veterans and AL/LTC residents; educational in-services, grief/loss programs; outcome measurements and more. For more information, please visit us at VITAS.com or call 800.93.VITAS.

Services

• Paw Pals (pet therapy)
  • Music therapy
  • Special veteran's programs
  • Memory bears made from patient's garments
  • Lap blankets for all IPU patients