Brookdale Richmond Heights

3 Homewood Way, Richmond Heights, OH, 44143

Reviews of Brookdale Richmond Heights

Caring76098650 June 27, 2014

Mom was at Homewood; they have a rehab facility. They were understaffed. When you press the button, they're fairly slow in coming to find out what you may be pushing your button for. I saw a lot of residents who were looking for aides, looking for someone to come and help them from the dining room area. A lot of times, the rooms were not well kept. Their housekeeping was good, but unless you actually communicated out to them, it seemed like it wasn't a priority here. If they used wipes to clean my mom, these should have been discarded at the time right after they were finished.

The food was a poor diet, poor food choices. They had a little bit more baked and a little bit more grilled, which I was happy to see, but not a wide variety of vegetables. They had sugar-free desserts, so that was good. I would never take my mom back there again if she ever has to go back to a nursing facility. It was more like an institution. They lack patients in there, because they had so many empty rooms when my mom first arrived, but they can't tend to the number of people they do have there.

Candy5 April 10, 2014

The rooms were nice at Homewood. They gave us a tour of the assisted living as well as the nursing home side. I didn't know at the time what my father-in-law might need. But this one was really nice. I did like it a lot. I think it was the most expensive one. The staff who gave us the tour was very nice and very helpful. It was nice and bright. Even the rooms that were more of a hospital setting were really bright. Other places we had gone were kind of dark, so this one has more of a cheery atmosphere.

LovelyLady0000035 March 28, 2014

Homewood seemed clean. It is 12 years old, so it is probably showing its age a little bit more. I didn't like the entrance because it was a fairly long walk that was not covered. Secondly, it seemed rather dark. It was not bright and cheerful the way others were. Their accommodations were just bedrooms. There were no separate living rooms. Every room there has a bed in it, a wall where you could put a TV set or something, and of course a full bathroom. They have several buildings there. One of them is for memory impaired people, and the other building, which was nicer and brighter, was actually reserved for skilled nursing and rehab. They would cook the food over in the skilled nursing and rehab facility and bring it over to the assisted living. So food is not actually cooked in the same building you are living in. Nevertheless, the people there looked happy. Also at Homewood, they have van transportation to doctors several days a week.

Aunt's niece September 09, 2013

My aunt has been here in respite care (temporary) until we can find her a permanent assisted living home. I visited several times, and must say, I am disappointed. I did realize the suites were small, but for respite care it was not a huge issue. The problems? they are understaffed. In 10 days, my aunt has not had a shower! despite my asking several times. Her room has no phone. I found her in dirty clothing she had worn several times. Laundry disappeared and was never returned. The DOORS in the unit are so heavy, it is impossible for a frail elderly person to open their own door, requiring aid every time they enter or leave their own suite! (Something I did not even think to check on.) For residents on the second floor, all meals (3 times daily) are down a long hallway, then an elevator, then another hallway -- a long trek for frail elderly, those in wheelchairs or those easily confused. It also means the staff puts residents in the dining room a good 30-45 minutes before they eat. When multiplied by 3 meals every day, this means half the day is spent in the dining room! Though she did not require it, they put her in a "locked unit" where it requires staff every time you enter or leave, even to the porch area -- a huge inconvenience. Maybe OK for severe Alzheimer's, but not most folks there. It means the resident goes almost nowhere except the dining room, lounge or their (tiny) bedroom. Activities are posted daily, but only about 1 in 3 actually occurred -- listings for jigsaw puzzles, crossword games, movie night, did not occur. The only TV in the lounge is very small and old -- it plays VHS tapes!

On the positive side: it is clean, housekeeping is good. Buildings are pleasant and attractive, landscaping and outside is very nice (if you can get there, good luck!). Food is good, but selection is very limited -- hot dogs and turkey sandwiches at lunch and dinner DAILY, and often only one side dish or veggie per meal. Not much selection. But quality is good. Beverages and snacks are available, but you can't help yourself or even get them for your elderly relative; as I said, everything locked down. Very restrictive. Odd, because 2 of 3 patients I have met are NOT severe Alzheimers, just wheelchair bound.

Homewood is cheaper up front than other facilities, but watch out for costly add-ons; even requiring simple health care (bandage change) can add hundreds a month.

LolaMontez July 10, 2013

This is new and looked clean enough, but be warned -- the rooms are hospital sized. All you get for several thousand dollars a month is a small bedroom and a private bathroom, with very little closet or storage space. No living room, no dining area, no kitchenette, no washer/dryer -- nothing. It's bare bones. If someone is bedridden or advanced dementia, this may not matter and this might work for them. For an active senior, someone moving in with furniture and memorabilia, this would be a huge step DOWN from even a tiny apartment. You'd have to get rid of everything you own, except a bed, dresser and maybe a bookshelf. Similar assisted living residences with a mile or two, offer full-size one bedroom apartments for just slightly more than Homewood offers a hospital room + bathroom.

Paul8 June 23, 2013

I thought that Homewood Residence at Richmond Heights was a very nice facility. It's a much smaller but their staff were cordial and very nurturing to the residents. I felt that they were very helpful in my process of trying to find a place for my father. I really liked the way they handled things. However, their method of payment was not quite what I had in mind and it would do well if they're a little affordable.

Edco22 November 20, 2012

One worker was very rude to me and my grandmother. This is why it is not 4 stars. The best thing was the food suprisingly. First time I visited was March 2010, when my grandmother was put in to a room which was very clean and comfortable. All bedding was new and fresh. The price for her to stay there could of been a lot lower but I am not really complaining. As long as she was enjoying her last years on this planet. The staff was fairly good with the exception of the one man who slammed the door in my face the 2nd time I came there. There is also a room there with stuff for people to do and people can socialize. Lastly, the medications given to my grandma were of the best quality as I checked when I first took her there. We looked at other homes which didn't even compare to the likes of this one. I am going to be taking my 76 year old grand father here as soon as winter is over. I hope the rude employees were fired and he is kept in amazing shape. Another thing I have to say about this place is that it is not overcrowded like my great-grandfather was kept in back in 2003. Recommend this place to all my friends who have loved ones who have no place to stay.

From Brookdale Richmond Heights

Brookdale Richmond Heights provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents at Homewood at Richmond Heights enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Location of Brookdale Richmond Heights