The Montecito

17271 North 87th Avenue, Peoria, AZ, 85382

Reviews of The Montecito

TerryANFCS May 12, 2016

The Montecito was very nice. They have what they called “Casitas” where the independent care was in the front and also in the back of the main building. We did not like the layout because it seemed kind of dark. Other than that, it very nice and roomy. The person who took us around was very friendly and invited us back for luau night, which we attended. There was quite a large group watching the luau and having dinner, so we stayed for dinner. They all seemed very happy. They had an extensive exercise room. We talked our parents into going, so my dad was excited to play cards a few times a week because he likes to play cards. They had a jigsaw puzzle room and gave us the monthly calendar of everything that they did during the month. There was a lot of exercise every day. The food was really good. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but we had Hawaiian-style food, so it was very good.

LouFRVPB May 11, 2016

I visited The Montecito. I have a very good friend there. It's a very nice place, but it's right in the middle of a shopping area with used and new cars, so it's a congested area. The care goes from independent care to assisted to complete care. It's a very nice facility but not where I would like to go. It has been a very nice situation for my friend, but it's right in the middle of traffic. As far as the care is concerned, it's excellent. The food is very good.

A Fellow ReviewerWZRRR May 11, 2016

We toured The Montecito. I liked this community the best, but my mom liked the another one better. The staff seemed very knowledgeable, very friendly, and helpful. I think one of the reasons why my mom wasn’t the happiest there was because my parents need a two-bedroom unit and the kitchenettes in this community were very limited and very small with just a small refrigerator and a microwave. The food was outstanding, though. It was very good.

Caring111861750 September 16, 2015

We are very happy with everything at The Montecito. The staff is great. The living quarters are nice. The facilities are great as well. We got nice wide doors, and that is very important because my husband and I are both in power chairs. We can be in the room at the same time. We couldn’t ask for anything better with our condition.

Lee26 July 31, 2015

My parents are going to remain at the Montecito, and they are very pleased with their stay there. The staff is very friendly, they are very prompt, and they take really good care of mom and dad. They seem to have a great turnover in staff, which is disconcerting somewhat, but other than that, they really do a good job. I eat there all the time, and the food is very good.

I did go to several others and kind of looked around, but nothing really compared to the Montecito in terms of rooms. Mom and dad have about 800 sq. ft. in their little one-bedroom apartment with a full kitchen, a washer, and a dryer, and mom really likes that because she likes to continue doing their own private laundry. They do do their beds and make their beds everyday for them, which is nice. Nothing compared to what they are already living in, so they are really pleased. I was looking at pricing too, and they are pretty much right in the ballpark of everybody else.

Doug21 July 15, 2015

We visited Montecito, and it's a very nice facility. We were very impressed with the place, but it's too expensive. The staff was very nice. Their accommodations were the things that we would want.

Caring107699250 May 22, 2015

I like the staff at Montecito because they seemed very nice and highly motivated. The rooms were very nice, very big, and spacious. I didn't see them doing anything, but I know they have a whole list of activities. I remember going over the list with them. The way they did their dining area was really neat. It looked very nice, well appointed, very neat, and very clean. I didn't eat the food, but they have a lot of variety. The place was very big, and it seems like they have a lot of staff there. It was very clean too. I would recommend it. We didn't go there because of the distance thing. It was a little too far from the house, but I would recommend it.

Caring103995850 March 31, 2015

The Montecito seemed too small. I know they have Bocce card, and they have a pool. I would say multiple care options, and it has been updated. I wouldn't say it was really old but, on the other hand, it was not brand new. I wasn't too impressed. They were nice enough people, but there didn't seem to be enough variety in the activities to suit us. We wanted a larger separate unit, and they don't have them. For someone else who wanted a smaller space and live in that, then it might be just fine.

Caring103497750 December 28, 2014

The Montecito was wonderful; it was first class. They have all kinds of things, activities, and a restaurant like place for food. It was very nice, and it appeared new. The staff members were very helpful. My uncle enjoyed the food, so I am sure it is good. They take very good care of the people there.

Caring72186150 January 18, 2014

What I like about The Montecito is that its independent living area is a separate unit. They are like villas. I like that idea. There did have a lot of activities and they're certainly things that I was interested in. They also have local trips. The Montecito was a nicely kept community. I was there for lunch and the food was excellent. I have a neighbor that just moved there and she seemed happy. She is eating with some of the residents and everybody looks very friendly. The rooms were very nice. The apartments were lovely. They have full kitchens, although I think that takes up a lot of space that you don't really need, but some people like that.

Vickie3 September 27, 2013

My father moved to The Montecito two weeks ago. We chose this place because he liked the idea of not the apartment-type facility. He has two bedrooms, a washer and a dryer. They also provide two meals a day. So far seems okay. He has some issues with the hot water heater but they already took care of it. They had already repainted and re-did everything before he moved in. He has been really pleased with the dining service and they serve hot meals. That was a big important issue for him also.

LindaHoo June 13, 2013

My older friend went into the Montecito following a hip replacement for assistance until she was well enough to return to her home. When the time came for her to return home, she realized that she didn't want to. She admitted that she was lonely at home and had made several friends in just a few weeks at The Montecito. She is now in a two bedroom casita and loves it. She says she feels better than she has in years, she loves not having to shop and cook, and she frequently can't do things with me because there is an activity going on that she doesn't want to miss. I've had several meals with her there and have enjoyed the food very much. I want to live there!

Rodney1 May 12, 2013

The staff members at The Montecito are good people. They do their job and provide the services that my mother as far as making sure she gets her medication and getting her to a meal if she needs help. The entertainment people there are very good. The staff just takes it all the way around.

My mother has been at this facility for the last 7 years. She has a 1-bedroom apartment. The food is excellent. The place is nice and clean. It's like living in a hotel. I hope they improve on creating more parking areas for the visitors.

georgeo November 20, 2012

My grandmother became a resident at Montecito a few years ago, when the facility did not offer the assisted living needs that they do now. She had fell and hurt herself which required us to upgrade her living needs. I believe the staff is very hard-working and offer many care options to cater to my grandmother. They are kind and well-mannered, however, not as timely as she would prefer. Many of the staff are on a personal schedule and change shifts from day to night, so during many of those hours different nurses are not available, and messages for meal times and other things get lost in the chaos. Many of the nurses are not as fluent in English as my grandmother would prefer, and with her significant hearing loss and nerve damage from old age, it is very difficult for her to speak to them, at times. They are always very pleasant, though. Although the Montecito has a few minor issues, the facility is unbelievably gorgeous in it's appearance. There is a grand entrance with a waterfountain in front, and everything indoors is always clean-looking. Although a bit pricey, the food is always cooked to perfection. I would recommend living at the Montecito to anyone!

Linda Giles October 06, 2011

I was recently assigned to some of the residents in this facility, and though I had never yet visited it, I have heard my share of stories, both good and bad, about this facility. I was hoping to be able to go into the facility for the first time without all of the remarks I have been told about the facility clouding my judgment, but I think in the end those comments helped me in forming my own opinions about The Montecito.

A staff member walked up to me right away, which was great, I was happy that I didn't have the opportunity to wander the halls for hours before someone noticed me. That has actually happened to me several times which is a huge safety issue, so it's always one of the first things that I look for. Well this particular staff member noticed me and immediately welcomed me to the building and asked how she could be of assistance. She was very friendly and while she was walking me around showing me the layout of the facility, I noticed her with the residents. She knew every resident's name that we passed by and she would stop every once in a while to tie a resident's shoe or to give a resident a friendly hug or high-five. She was wonderful with the residents and it was very refreshing to see a staff member so in tune with the residents needs.

There seemed to be some close friendships among the residents and for the most part they all seemed to get along well together. There were a few times I saw the residents get snippy with each other, but nothing that caused me any alarm. Everyone seemed social and active. I was told by a couple of residents that they've formed a little welcome committee and now when a new resident moves in to the facility they invite the resident to lunch or dinner and they take the time to show them the ropes. I think that this is a great thing. So many people who moved in to assisted living, either for the first time or transferring facilities, there are often feelings of apprehension, nervousness, and even a little depression or loneliness so it's great that there are people at The Montecito, fellow residents, that act as a welcome wagon and show them around and help them to feel comfortable and welcome. The staff are also really good at helping new residents become comfortable and adjust.

I noticed that the activity calendar was versatile and provided some fun and unique activities for the residents and their families to enjoy. I also rations, live entertainment, keynote speakers, exciting field trips, and so on. I could tell that if one wanted, they could have the opportunity to stay busy every hour of every day. I noticed that when one of the scheduled activities were about to begin, the staff were very diligent in reminding the residents that it was about to start and they were also very encouraging in trying to get the residents to participate.

Dining at The Montecito is a wonderful experience. The staff try to make eating a fun and exciting time for the residents, especially those with smaller appetites. They often have live entertainment or something going on in the dining room during mealtimes which helps encourage more residents to come eat in the dining room in stead of alone in their rooms. There is this themed buffet on Thursdays and the residents tell me that they love it, there is always a different theme and the dining room is always decorated according to the theme. I have now eaten at the facility a couple of times and the food is always great.

The Montecito has become a place that I enjoy visiting, the residents appear well cared for and happy. I have never received any complaints about serious issues regarding care, safety, or resident rights issues. As a whole, I would refer people to this facility. I would recommend that families check out The Montecito and ask lots of questions. Make sure that it is the best option for you and your loved ones.

From The Montecito

Welcome to The Montecito! We are located in the heart of Peoria, conveniently close to several hospitals and medical offices. This campus environment has Independent Living Villa's and Casitas as well as a large main building with Assisted Living apartments. The units are large and feature full kitchens and washers & dryers. There are 2 swimming pools, a warm water spa, putting range, bocce court and shuffle board. Covered parking and garages are available.

All Day Dining - Large Independent Villas and Casitas - Large common areas including game rooms, activity rooms, chapel, exercise room, movie theater, living room, Dining room & private dining room - We have medical services on site through MD24 as well as physical Therapy and additional resident services through several preferred providers.

Features of The Montecito

• Diabetic
  • Low salt
  • Vegetarian

• Technology extra: Emergency call system
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy
  • Physical therapy
  • Hospice care

• Housing extra: Cottages, Independent Living Villas & Casitas
  • Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Hiking trails
  • Pool
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym, W/D in residence

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• We charge an entry fee
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental

• Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Minimum age: 55

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits