Morningside of Newport News

Overview of Ratings

4.0

June 09, 2014

By CCC12

Pluses and minuses: They are centrally located and have a handsome facility with a courtyard. Minuses: HUGE staff turn over, constantly. In less than 4 years I've been through 5 staff doctors through Visiting Physicians with my loved one, 5 directors of nursing, 4 general directors, all but two of the nursing staff. The lack of continuity creates confusion and chaos. Morningside is often understaffed, and I have personally assisted residents who sat in the hallways calling out for things as simple as a sweater or glass of water or to be wheeled back to their rooms. Many of the nurses are bad hires. For example, they are so overweight that they cannot meet the physical demands of the job, or they are snotty and rude to the dementia patients, who won't remember the name of the staffer most of what happened. A few of the nurses are good but most have moved on to other jobs. The PT staff is good. The food has gotten much better.

May 27, 2014

By workingl8y

I visited this facility while my mother was a resident. Gratefully she has found a better place. I lost complete respect and had serious concerns about this place when my mother was bitten by a therapy dog on the premises and the staff not only did nothing to prevent this happening again, but threatened my mother when she complained.

March 29, 2014

By Judy71394850

We chose Morningside because it was a smaller unit for Alzheimer patients. The location is perfect, it's from a main road. It's 10 minutes from my house, so everything just seems to be perfect for what I needed and for what my mother needed. The facility itself is quite sizable, and the staff seems to be knowledgeable and very courteous. Mother is in the Alzheimer's unit where they're basically behind locked doors and need more care. They rotate their employees so they don't get burn out with the extra care. It's a sizable room and I was able to bring furniture in there and things that belong to her to make her feel that she's at home. I have tried their food. It's very good, it's nutritious, it's a variety of menus. The dining area is sizable to the amount of people that are on that unit. They seem to have quite a number of activities that they do with the patients. They talk about her dancing all the time, which I do remember her enjoying that. They do her nails, they have a salon on the floor. I'm well satisfied with the place as compared to others that I went to.

October 15, 2013

By Caring71905350

Morningside was very nice and we liked it. It was very clean. But it had more medical assistance than what she needed.

October 09, 2013

I had a quick tour at Morningside since the place is very close to my house. The facility is nice and clean. The apartments were also nice and it's spacious. The staff is nice.

June 28, 2013

By Kathy38

My father thought the food was okay. The staff seemed very friendly and very competent. They always answered my questions and I find it reassuring that they weren't trying to hide something. Overall, I thought it was okay. The room was very nice and they keep it clean. I thought they did a good job, but I think the facility is older and probably needs some updating.

June 19, 2013

By Rick9

I checked out Morningside of Newport News for my mother before she passed away. The facility was so open and clean and bright. The room that I got to see was a one-bedroom unit and it was spacious. I was also impressed by the staff. They're very knowledgeable, friendly and very outgoing. They're very sweet people. Also the food served there was very elegant. They had a very nice activity program. The day that I was there, they were going to a concert, which I thought was very nice.

July 25, 2012

By mnrobbs67

We visited Morningside as a potential home for my Uncle. The facility itself is very nice and the grounds were well kept. We liked that the downstairs units opened onto a courtyard which gave the rooms more of a homey feel with a back yard. Unfortunately none of those were available for my uncle so he would have had to stay in one of the upstairs units. The staff were very friendly and you could see the residents were well cared for. We had a meal in the cafeteria and the food was pretty good, I'd say a small step up from what you would expect from a cafeteria type of place. The interior is well decorated and comfortable but it does have a somewhat clinical feel to it. They offer lots for activities for the residents though and I think the nature of the staff and residents made up for the clinical nature of the facility.

April 20, 2012

By Deborah C.

It was good, but they were going to put her in locked units. Even with her dementia, she was very lucid and it would do her in not to communicate with other people. She still had some of her marbles and was very intelligent and intellectual. For her not to be able to socialize would've been horrible. One drawback for us is that they had multiple floors with an elevator. Our preference would be to have everything for her all on one floor.

March 23, 2012

By SRH

I have visited this facility on many occasions to visit my uncle who has been a resident there for the past five or six years. The facility is very clean, tastefully decorated, and always kept at a comfortable temperature. The rooms are nicely appointed; the residents are allowed to have many of their personal decorative items in their rooms. The rooms on the first floor open onto a very pleasant courtyard/garden area. This facility offers many activities for the residents to enjoy, such as movies, bingo and other events during holidays. The meals, according to my uncle, are not like my aunt's cooking, but he enjoys the scheduled meals and goes to the cafeteria on his own. On every visit, I encountered nothing but courteous and helpful staff. My uncle has never complained about the facility, the staff, or how well he is being taken care of. I would recommend this facility for the care of a family member.

February 24, 2012

By Ray1

The staff was very caring of my grandmother and I loved the clean environment provided and the friendly staff. I would recommend this facility to my friends. I cannot say anything negative because i was treated with much respect and its a place i visit weekly to see my grandmother now. My grandmother loves her staff and they help her with everything that she asks for. THANK YOU Morning Side.

January 21, 2012

By srn1953

I volunteered at this facility as a musician to entertain the residents. The outside of the building is lovely, with nice landscaping and pretty buildings, and the public areas inside the buildings are welcoming and cheerful. There are always refreshments available to residents and guests, and the staff is really friendly and helpful. The residents seemed very comfortable, and have a lot of freedom as well as assistance when they need it. It is a large facility, with clean, well kept rooms and a gracious dining area. Morningside of Newport News also has lots of activities available for the residents, each time I was there I saw people playing cards, listening to music and just visiting. It is also in a great location, as it is less than a mile from Mary Immaculate Hospital, as well as numerous restaurants and shops. I would definitely recommend Morningside of Newport News to anyone looking for a great assisted living facility.

Photos of Morningside of Newport News

• Spanish

• Minimum Age: None
  • Pets: All Pets Allowed

About Morningside of Newport News

Morningside of Newport News offers compassionate senior care in Newport News, VA. We strive to create a home-like atmosphere where you and your loved ones can feel secure. Our warm, well-trained staff works closely with our residents to provide the utmost care and comfort. As part of the Five Star corporation, you can be sure that everyone at Morningside of Newport News shares the Five Star Values, and is committed to a high level of caring in all that they do. Please schedule a visit to see why we are the first choice in senior care in Newport News, VA.

We offer level 1 though level 6 of care - we are very close to local hospital - We have 24 hour care.

Map of Morningside of Newport News