The Birches at Arbour Square

691 Main Street, Harleysville, PA, 19438

Reviews of The Birches at Arbour Square

Carolyn106209450 June 18, 2015

The Birches was a very nice facility. It is beautiful, lovely, and brand new. The price was very good, and the Alzheimer’s unit is expensive, but for the independent, it’s very nice. They have a lot of activities, and the facility is very convenient to everything, convenient to my house. The people were very nice and nice experience.

If I have to choose any place to go even for myself, I would choose that place. I think it was one of the best. Lisa who showed me the place was very helpful and answered all my questions.

Sara Jane April 07, 2015

The Birches at Arbour Square was very nice, but the food was not as good. The rooms were a little larger. The staff seemed to be extremely courteous and knew the residents well. They had better and much more extensive PT facilities.

Sara Jane ~ Thanks for your 5-Star Review! We are excited that you identified the employees and therapy program as two of our strengths. We work hard to hire, train and retain the best caregivers. Our therapy program is individualized so that residents can remain as independent as possible. Of course, we were disappointed about your comment regarding the food. If there is anything you can share specifically about the meal, please let us know. We are always open to making changes to improve the quality of life for our residents.

Thomas45 September 24, 2014

Birches at Arbour was very nice as well as the people. The rooms were comfortable, and the dining area is big and clean. The staff was accommodating and friendly and the residents looked happy.

Caring63032950 January 28, 2014

My father is at The Birches at Arbour Square. He's been there for about a year now. We chose this facility because of its proximity to my house. I think they do an adequate job taking care of my father. They meet his needs. He is a memory care unit and his room is adequate for his needs. I've seen a range of people that really care and do 100% and then I also seen some of the staff that lacks that so to speak. My father always enjoys the food and from what he said, I think the food is poor. My only concern is that he does get bored because he has no stimulation there, he has dementia.

Thank you for taking the time to review The Birches at Arbour Square. Please know that our team has an open door policy and we encourage residents and families to share concerns so that we can personalize training and help all employees to become successful caregivers in our community. We strive to provide delicious and nutritious food for our residents and encourage dialogue with residents at monthly Dietary meetings. I would also encourage you to review our daily and monthly calendars. We do offer many activities for residents, but are always willing to discuss your father’s individual wants and needs. I hope you will come share your thoughts with us directly so that we can take your experience with The Birches at Arbour Square from ‘adequate’ to extraordinary.

Caring83861150 January 23, 2014

Arbour Square is very well run. The apartments are well maintained and all the services are 1st class. Employees are both good at their jobs and caring compassionate people. Employees quickly know the residents and their needs.

T A November 27, 2013

During this time of year, most individuals take the time to reflect and count their blessings. We are grateful for the Birches at Arbour Square. The Birches at Arbour Square is as close to a family as a facility can be. Our family member has been embraced, is treated well and with respect. There is never a request that is too great or too small to be fulfilled. Every need is important. With any change in lifestyle there is always an adjustment period. The Birches at Arbour Square does everything possible to make the transition as easy and stress free as possible. Our family member has been at the Birches for over two year and is very happy and content. This is such a blessing for us and has lessened the worry and apprehension for our family knowing that our family member is safe and well cared for.

jenkev88 October 01, 2013

My father was a resident of the Birches at Arbour Square. The staff treated my father with dignity and respect and provided excellent care. He really enjoyed the activities and I'll never forget the time they took all the guys fishing and he caught one that was "this big!" They even took a picture to prove it. That was very special memory because dad always took us fishing when we were kids. He also enjoyed singing with the entertainers, which was another favorite pastime of his. His physical and mental health improved so much when he moved to the Birches thanks to the healthy and good tasting meals, physical therapy and management of his medications. Dad was heartbroken after mom passed away and he really bonded with the staff in a way that made his last few years happy. Thank you all for going above and beyond for my father.

OMA1 March 26, 2013

I have lived here contentedly and safely for almost 3 years. The care staff is attentive and readily available. They will do what they can to help you and make you comfortable, always with a smile and a kind word. The rooms are spacious and easy to move around in, even with a walker or wheelchair. I am able to keep my favorite furnishings and belongings. I love the patio and the commons areas as an alternative to my room. Our activities director and other staff work hard to provide something for everyone, encouraging residents to join in at their own level and ability. There are also special events and parties planned for family. The cook and dining staff are responsive to suggstions and requests, if possible.

Gregory Newell March 26, 2013

I want to thank you for all the help you have given my mother. Having a parent suffering from Alzheimer's is difficult for us or any family. The exceptional care provided by your staff for the last two years has made it much easier for us to deal with the situation. I don't think it is an exaggeration to say that we notice that your staff treats her like their own family.

Medically, my mother has done very well under your care. You have given us comfort in knowing that her medical condition is being handled properly. Emotionally, it is wonderful to see her happy. She always seems to have a smile on her face. The addition of the garden was a huge hit for her since she loved to work in her gardens. It also gives us the opportunity to visit with her in a peaceful, beautiful setting.

My mother is clearly in a safe and nurturing environment. One of the most important aspects of living at the Birches is that you have managed to maintain her dignity. That is so important to both her and us.

Once again thank you for all you do to take care of our mother.

berna1radical March 22, 2013

I am very happy that I chose this facility for my Mother who has dementia. The staff is caring and always concerned about her welfare. Her room is lovely and always kept clean and neat. My Mother loves her new home and the new friends she has made among the staff an residents. They have designated times for entertainment and things to do for the residents and have a lovely outside area that my Mother can use when the weather permits. I recommend the Birches for anyone looking for placement for their loved one.

Lola471 July 11, 2012

I dealt with this assisted living facility a few years ago. The care was adequate and the staff were pleasant enough. They did have entertainment for residents and provided nice meals. Ultimately, I was not satisfied because I felt as if the training provided to staff was not enough. They floundered in situations that commonly arise with older people who are in assisted livings, especially when it came to how to handle people with dementia. I spent a lot of time observing and a lot of situations that could be curbed were ignored. In turn, this caused more unrest from the residents. If the staff was equipped with the knowledge on how to handle day to day problems, perhaps this would not happen. The place was always clean, and the staff did a good job at maintaining cleanliness. Their staff was seemed fairly young and I think this is a large part of why their care was not up to my standards. It takes a lot of patience and training to deal with dementia patients. I was satisfied with them for a time, however, found a place better suited for my loved one.

Thank you for your positive comments about the environment at The Birches at Arbour Square. Please know that the management of the The Birches agrees that training is a priority for all of our employees. Mandatory orientation is required for all new employees of The Birches, as well as continuing education for all direct care staff. The Birches is proud to share that our training calendar in 2013 offered 180 hours of instruction, well above the required minimum.

The Birches is now in our 4th year of operation and we will celebrate our 5 anniversary in May, 2014. We’ve increased the number of long-term employees who have been with us for many years and have benefitted from regular training, but there will always be new, less experienced staff who are beginning their work career. We have an open door policy and encourage residents and families to share concerns that they have with individual employees so that we can personalize their training and help them to become successful caregivers in our community.

coupons572 May 11, 2012

The employees are very kind, although the nursing staff had a high turnover when we had family there. The facility is pretty new, and it is within walking distance to Walmart. This has pluses and minuses for people who can't walk the distance safely (but who will do it anyway, like my family). At the time, there was a path, but it wasn't well-lit and it wasn't clear who maintained it. All-in-all, it was a nice facility at a very fair monthly rate with no buy-in fee.

Joodles November 05, 2011

Community Relations business brought me to The Birches, and I was immediately impressed with the professionalism of the staff. They are a group of people who work as a strong team to offer a calm, warm, peaceful environment to their residents. There is a wide spanse of needs within this community, but the one that stands out is the area which caters to those residents who are memory impaired! This is certainly not easy for even the best of trained people to deal with. I witnessed such patience as the staff would go out of their way to deal with all these delicate needs. A stand out moment was when I was lucky enough to chat with a lady resident's son! He spoke of how heartbreaking it was when they felt no other options were available except t have mom go to a nursing facility. He shared that the family was fearful and at odds with each other and actually feeling guilty. It felt great to hear him say this move has been a blessing because she is now in the hands of experienced professionals who can not only take care of mom...but who have in many ways created a "bridge" between the mother and her family. He said it was like having a translator on hand when needed. Mom overheard the tail end of this chat, and in a good moment seemed to understand; she said "it's ALL GOOD DEAR"! She made my day.Great place!

From The Birches at Arbour Square

At The Birches at Arbour Square Personal Care & Dementia Care Community in Harleysville, PA, you'll find all the personal care assistance you need to live a healthy and happy life. No more worrying about maintaining a house, cooking or cleaning. The month-to-month lease includes three meals daily served in the dining room, housekeeping and laundry services, social events and transportation to local outings and appointments plus 24-hour personal care assistance and medication management.

Our staff is specially trained and updated in the latest methods and techniques in caring for a resident with Alzheimer's disease or other related dementias. This means that your loved one will be treated with the utmost respect and dignity in an environment that is kind and loving.

Features of The Birches at Arbour Square

• Housing extra: Shared living
  • Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Hiking trails
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Library, Fitness room/Gym, W/D in apt., Movie theater, Art studio

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Wii sports competition
  • Activities extra: Computer class, Woodworking

• Private services

• Monthly rent is all inclusive
  • Fee structure extra: We offer a month-to-month rental
  • Minimum memory care rate: $5,099/month

• We offer respite care (short term stays)
  • Minimum age: 55

• We help with selling the house (finding a realtor. staging, etc)
  • We help families understand VA benefits
  • We help families explore other financial options to afford senior living

• State License(s): 134520