What are the benefits of Alpha Lipoic Acid?

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) is a compound that is supposed to reduce the damage done by free radicals in the body. Currently, lots of research is going on with ALA in multiple diseases. For instance, it is being used to help liver health, treat diabetic neuropathy, stop multiple sclerosis and cancers, and restore cognition in dementias.

Right now, there is no recommended dosage, as it is considered a supplement. If you are interested in trying this for a health problem you have, I would talk to your health care provider about it, just to be sure they approve. In the meantime, there is lots of information on the internet for you to explore about this topic.

Sonny521 answered...

Free Radicals what damage do they create? Appreciate info as to areas being studied. Any positive discoveries?

Sonny521 answered...

Advised by Pharmacist that some doctors in the area are prescribing Alpha Lipoic Acid for burning feet and that it rectifies the loss of the protective shield over the nerves in one's feet. Reports that success seems better than a typically prescribed medicine. A recent graduate Pharmacist says that it does far more than that and highly recommends it as a full time maintenance drug.

Pavelina answered...

For several years I've been taking an anti-aging drug called Juvenon which contains Alpha Lipoic Acid and Acetyle L Carnitine. It was developed at U.C. Berkeley by scientists there. I'm 76 years old and started when I was 70 yo. It costs $35.00 for 60 tablets. I've continued taking it because I believe it increased my energy and thinking ability. I've tried taking the two main ingredients separately to save money but they upset my stomach. The combination of the two in Juvenon does not. Has anyone else taken Juvenon? What do you think of it?

Deafmack answered...

I take Alpha Lipoic Acid for Neuropathy and I feel it has helped a lot. I can't say that it would be true for everyone but it has been for me. One thing I have learned is that there is Alpha Lipoic Acid and R-Lipoic Acid. The only difference is that the latter has a shorter shelf life. If anyone knows of other differences it would be interesting to know the differences.