Can vitamin C help fight pancreatic cancer?

Bettyh asked...

Isaac Eliaz, MD, is a respected author, lecturer, researcher, product formulator, and clinical practitioner. He has been a pioneer in the field of integrative medicine since the early 1980s. Eliaz is a frequent guest lecturer on integrative medical approaches to health, immune enhancement, and cancer prevention and treatment. For more information, visit www.dreliaz.org.

There are some animal studies pointing to the use of intravenous Vitamin C to help treat pancreatic cancer. In addition, it has been shown that pancreatic cancer cells have much lower levels of antioxidant activity, making these cancer cells especially vulnerable to Vitamin C which functions as a pro-oxidant for cancer cells at higher intravenous dosages. This means that high dose intravenous Vitamin C can oxidize and subsequently destroy pancreatic cancer cells, as well as other types of cancer cells. High dose Vitamin C, especially intravenous Vitamin C, has dual functions, helping to boost the immune system and reduce inflammation, both important factors in fighting pancreatic cancer, as well as other types of cancer. It is also an important antioxidant for fighting free radicals which have been shown to contribute to cancer. Low levels of Vitamin C have been linked with numerous chronic degenerative diseases, including pancreatic cancer.

Fredly answered...

I've been reading a lot about using vitamins to help fight pancreatic cancer since my uncle was diagnosed, and I've found promising information, especially about vitamins C, D, B6, B12, and K. I want to point out that in many cases, the positive benefits come from getting the vitamin naturally (from foods "“ or, in the case of vitamin D, the sun - not from supplements), so consider that before you load up on supplements. In some cases, supplements can significantly increase the risk for various types of cancer.

I came across another study that tested animals induced with pancreatic cancer, and vitamin C lowered their cancer incidence by 71.4%. It looks like a lot of clinical trials are currently being done using vitamin C"”particularly high doses given intravenously"”to help fight pancreatic cancer.

Giving hope answered...

How is your uncle doing?