What exercises can I do to help with weight loss after a stroke?

I had a stroke one month ago and am now having problems with walking. What exercises can i do to help with the weight lost after the stroke?

Laura Juel is an occupational therapist at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina. She works in the Outpatient Occupational Therapy Program and the Duke Driving Program for older drivers.

Strokes affect people in different ways; most people experience some degree of weakness in either their arm/leg or both. This weakness, even if mild, can throw off a person's balance making them increased risk for falls. Weakness can also cause you to overuse your stronger side of the body which could cause pain in your joints and prevent you from being able to exercise. I would recommend that you see an physical therapist to set up a home exercise program. This may start out with an exercises program to help get you moving better. The program can be advanced to include transitioning to a gym setting and working on cardiovascular machines. Aquatic physical therapy is another good exercise program that allows the water to provide resistance against your movements. It is also important to have someone work with you on monitoring your blood pressure during exercise. Often times, your blood pressure may be fine during normal activities but when you exercise, it tends to go up. You will need to monitor this to make sure it stays within an acceptable range. I would recommend enlisting the help of a team of professionals, i.e nutrionist, physical therapist and physician to keep you on track to reaching your goals.

Johntie66. answered...

Hello! I HAD A STROKE 18MTHS AGO.I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL 4 MTHS HERE IN THE UK. I SPENT 2 MTHS IN A WHEEL CHAIR AND WENT THOUGH PHYSIO TO WALK-USE MY ARM ETC.I ALSO GAINED WEIGHT.WHEN I CAME OUT OF HOSP I BOUGHT A STATIONARY BIKE TO BUILT MY THIGH MUSCLES-WENT ON IT DAILY AND I BOUGHT A HIKING POLE WHICH IS LONGER THAN A WALKNG STICK FOR BALANCE AND WALKED SHORT DISTANCE.I GOT A SMALL BOTTLE OF WATER AND PUT MARBLES IN IT-NCREASING THE MARBLE WEIGHT FOR MY ARM EXERCISE. I ALSO CUT OUT CAKES- FIZZY DRINKS ETC HAVE MORE VEG AND I HAVE A PROTEIN SHAKE FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH AND A NORMAL DINNER-CHICKEN+VEG.HAVING NOT USED THE LEFT SIDE MUSCLES THEY BECOME WEAK-SO PROTEIN IS THE BUILDING BLOCKS OF MUSCLES-WHEY PROTEIN BEST. BUT WHEN YOU FEEL BETTER JOIN A GYM-GET OUT MEET PEOPLE AND USE THE MACHINES AND LIGHT DUMBELLS-GET A FITTNESS TRAINER TO ADVICE YOU+WALKING IN THE POOL HAS HELPED ME ALOT WITH BALANCE. ALSO GET A GOOD BOOK AND READ ABOUT HOLIDAYS+THE THINGS YOU DID BEFORE THE STROKE.ALSO THANK THE LORD FOR YOUR CONTINUED HEALING-YOU WILL PULL THROUGH-SHALOM/MARK

Francy answered...

Hi, I use to take water arobic classes. And I found out that for people with arthritis, who have had strokes, who are recovering from broken hips, things like that, would come and just lightly walk in the water. Or sit in the hot whirlpools. Of course ask your Doctor if this would be right for you first but, I think it is great. I have degentrive disc desease, soliois,ostio arthritis, spinal stinosis... and it feels so good just to get in the water and float. It is a good way to get exercise without putting the stress and strain on your joints and back.