What remedies are available for chronic UTI sufferers?

Merryweather asked...

Remedies for Chronic UTI?

Is there such a thing as a slow release antibiotic patch or the like?

Chronic urinary tract infections (UTIs) are often difficult to deal with, as it is such a complicated problem. First, the patient should be worked up to discover why they are getting frequent infections. If the cause can be helped, many times the number of infections will decrease. Chronic indwelling catheters can cause frequent UTIs, so the risk would be less if the catheter was removed. Urine retention, or not emptying the bladder fully, can cause stagnant urine to be left behind in the bladder, contributing to infection.

Many times, prophylactic antibiotics are tried for these problems, and they can be successful in some patients. These antibiotics are given as pills, as there is no antibiotic patches on the market. Most are taken one a day, so ask your health care provider if this is an option for you.

Josephine44 answered...

I was getting UTI's every 3 months until I found cranberry capsules. You have to find the kind that has over ten thousand milligrams; don't go by what the label says. Any burning at all , I take one of them and I'm fine for over a month. If anyone wants to know the exact brand let me know. It may say to take 2 but I am fine with one. I found them after the doctor said , "if you get one more UTI within 2 months you'll have to have an examination." Then I found them on amazon. They also worked for my husband! JO