Considering my parents health, how can they live in a hotel for two to three months?

Dlb61 asked...

My parents are both 88 years old. They live in their own home that my brother had built a few years ago. We recently found out that their entire house has a major mold problem and they are suing the builder. While the house is being cleaned from mold, the insurance company has offered to put them up in a hotel - it could take up to three months. The problem is, my dad has suffered several strokes, has dementia, needs to use a wheel chair and has other health issues. My mother has uncontrolled diabetes (she's on meds, but her blood sugar levels are all over the place.) She has high blood pressure and can only stand or walk for short periods of time. They have a caregiver who comes in 5 days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. My question is, how on earth can they live in a hotel for 2-3 months? If I had room and lived on one floor, they could stay here, but my house isn't set up for the way they live. I don't know what to do.

Kay Paggi, GCM, LPC, CGC, MA, is in private practice as a geriatric care manager and is on the advisory board for the Emeritus Program at Richland College. She has worked with seniors for nearly 20 years as a licensed professional counselor, certified gerontological counselor, and certified geriatric care manager.

Both of your parents would do better in an assisted living community than in their house, or an apartment. Both of them need nursing supervision. Ask the insurance company to pay for their care in the assisted living during the time of the mold clean up, and after that, it's up to your family. Moving them back into the house will not solve the long term problems.

Dlb61 answered...

Thank you for your advice. Unfortunately, my three siblings just told me that they will not put my parents in an assisted living home because my parents have stated that they do not want to go. My siblings feel that my parents will be better off in their home and will hire care "if needed". I just found out from their financial adviser, that the money they have will only last five years at the most...

Again, thank you for responding to my question.

Gracie0315 answered...

I had a similar situation with my own father and his dementia and advancing age. You could opt for a "corporate apartment" if such a thing exists in your area. These are furnished and usually come with housekeeping. My Dad actually stayed in a Marriot Residence Inn! He had a handicapped suite which worked quite well and the staff was fabulous! The evening staff kept their eyes on the overnight caregiver, breakfast and an evening meal is available onsite, and there were a surprising number of people to socialize with plus a pool and nice grounds.

I understand your hesitation about Assisted Living. Even though we live an an affulent area with many assisted living facilities, it was the worst option. The staff/patient ratio is very high and the care was substandard if it existed at all. Seniors could easily fall through the cracks and until there is better regulation, these are simply extraordinarily expensive apartment complexes for seniors.

I do think, though, that you have a larger problem on your hands that needs to be addressed and somebody in the family is going to need to make a change. But that's not what you asked, right?

Ultimately, my father became hospice eligible and spent the last months of his life in a wonderful in-patient hospice facility.