How can we help my mother regain her confidence?

Gongoing8 asked...

My Mother's husband constantly corrects her and corrects her for her mistakes. This is making her increasingly nervous and withdrawn. How can we help her regain her confidence and lose her fear of saying the wrong thing?

Deborah Cooke is a gerontologist specializing in dementia, delirium, caregiving, and senior fitness. She is a certified dementia care provider and specialist through the Alzheimer's Foundation of America. Cooke currently manages several multidisciplinary programs to enhance well-being for hospitalized seniors and other vulnerable patients at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. She also serves on the board of NewYork-Presbyterian's Patient and Family Education Advisory Committee. She has 18 years of experience working with the aging and caregiver communities.

This is a very frustrating experience for all. If this has been something that has been going for a while, especially in their younger years, then it will be hard to break the habit. He may be acting out of his own frustration. I think some awareness, education, sensitivity training, and support group involvement may be helpful.

All my best.

I do not think this man is acting out of his own frustration.I have to beleive it is because there are people on this earth that think they know everything. I watched this happen with my mother. Her husband was like that not only with her but with everyone else too. Some people were just born without the ability to not be number one in this world. Do I sound bitter? Yes, it has happened to me too, took me two years of counseling to become me again. Sometimes the ones we love hurt us the most.