I have leaking valves in my heart (mild-pulmonary,...

Lioneyouki78 asked...

I have leaking valves in my heart (mild-pulmonary, trace-tricuspid and mild-mitral) accompanied with ongoing chest pain, swelling of legs, ankles and feet, shortness of breath, and numbness/tingles going down my left arm to my hand and fingers. My MD prescribed medication for GERD and asthma, but said he didn't believe my leaking valves were anything to be alarmed about. My question is if the medication isn't helping with the pain and shortness of breath, should I seek further medical attention? (ie: a cardiologist)?

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

The "leaking heart valves" do not sound severe, we use a grading system trace, mild, moderate, severe. The swelling of your legs, shortness of breath, chest pain and tingles may still be a sign of a heart problem and we would recommend that you see a cardiologist to be evaluated further. We are assuming the "leaking heart valves" were detected with an echocardiogram (heart ultrasound) - if you have not had this test you should. There are other tests that a cardiologist can perform to evaluate the heart and make sure your symptoms are not related to a heart problem though. Have you had your thyroid tested? Thyroid problems can cause some of these symptoms. You should have a full blood panel performed to make sure you do not have any kidney, hormone or liver problems. You may have some degree of GERD and asthma but the bottom line is you are having persistent symptoms and need to have further testing.

Lioneyouki78 answered...

Thank you so much for your response... The leaking valves were detected by an ultra sound done on my heart...But so far I've only seen my regular MD and not a specialist. I believe I will make an appointment with one just to make sure I'm not having some other problem. Thank you again so much for all of your help.

---Jessica Herrera

Bea thornton answered...

dear anonymous writer about CHF, my husband can simply relate to you.about 10 yrs ago he was diagnosed.he went through just about the same thing,i make sure that he take his medicines,he had his difibilator for 4 yrs.i have highblood pressure,i also suffer with neck and back pain from an accident myself,and have to pay out of pocket,i have no insurance,we're surviving off my husband s/disability income,and retirement benefits.my husband also gets medicare. it was very hard to keep my bp controlled.we try to enjoy our lives the best way we know how with faih, and prayer.we just take one day at a time.hopefully there will be some changes in this constitution of how we treat our american citizens. we thank you for your story,it really helps,and means a lot to know that there is someone out there listening,and their voice is being heard.