Is moving into Mom's house to provide care the right thing to do?

Beth e asked...

My brother and his family are talking about moving into moms house to help care for her after my dads recent death. She gets confused easily and her memory isn't what it used to be and we all want to help her however we can in her day to day activities. She still drives and is very active socially. Dinners are lonely and I think she'd like more company. She has expressed wanting to give this a go on her own and I can't help thinking that my brother is pushing her to have them move in. Is this a good idea only a month after my dads death? I'm afraid shed become their permanent babysitter and would be too much change. Help!

Eileenm answered...

Please think this through! It is a major life change. I moved in with my Mom 2 years ago. I was wondering how old the child(ren) are. It is a huge adjustment for kids. It is absolutely essential, in my opinion, for everyone to have their 'own space' and be able to continue their regular activities and it's important for Mom to not feel that she is being 'taken-over'.

Rosar answered...

Hello Beth E, Thanks for posting your question on, and thank you EileenM for the answer you shared!

To help families considering in-home care of an aging loved one, offers this information:

Additional options for your family to consider: * What Elder Companions Do and How They Help

If you would like to speak with someone to go over the options, a Family Advisor is available toll-free, seven days a week at (866) 824-8174.

I hope you find these resources helpful!

Beth e answered...

The children are 4 and 9. As time goes on it will be difficult for the I'm sure to watch their grandmother decline or change. They are moving in. With my voiced concern and reservations. I feel they're taking over moms house. I've tried to voice my opinion, but I can tell that my sister in law is bothered by it. I don't think my sister in really knows what she's getting into with Alzheimer's.