I had chemo two years ago. I've just had my first cold since...

Alexaval asked...

I had chemo two years ago. I've just had my first cold since chemo, I'm getting over the cold but for the last week I am very fatigued just like after chemo. Is this normal? If so, is there anything I can do?

Linda Ackerman, R.N. has clinical experience in oncology, women's health, and medical nursing. She has been practicing for more than 20 years and is a licensed registered nurse in both Florida and Wisconsin. In addition, she serves as a board member of Breast Cancer Recovery and the Wisconsin Cancer Council.

It can be typical to feel fatigued after having a cold and depending on the virus some colds can cause more fatigue than others.

Drinking plenty of fluids, eating fruits and vegetables, and getting plenty of rest are all things that can help you recover from the cold.

Since you do have a history of cancer, I would recommend that you contact your physician and mention that you feel more fatigued than typical as you are recovering from your cold.

He/she may want you to come in for an exam and possibly check your complete blood count (WBC/HGB/HCT) and perhaps your blood chemistries.

These types of blood tests can help determine if you still have an infection, are anemic or have low levels of necessary electrolytes such as potassium and glucose.

In addition, please remember to monitor your temperature any time you experience an illness and to notify your physician for any elevation.

Andrea camille answered...

don't know what's normal or medical but i will share my perspective. altho generally very healthy otherwise, i've always gotten lots of colds...since childhood! then came cancer and treatment (2 1/2 years ago) and i quit getting my colds, sinus infections, etc..... therefore when i did get a "normal" sickness, a cold about six months ago!, i celebrated that this was a good thing! Hope you feel better soon and just look at it as a positive aspect of your recovery !!!