Can a bump on the head improve Alzheimer's symptoms?

Bobo11 asked...

My wife has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. She recently fell and had a severe laceration on her head. She was hospitalized 4 days. Now there is a marked improvement in her speech and memory. Could the bump on the head do that?

Joanne Koenig Coste is a nationally recognized expert on Alzheimer's care and an outspoken advocate for patient and family care. She is the author of Learning to Speak Alzheimer's. Also, she currently is in private practice as an Alzheimer's family therapist. Ms. Koenig Coste also serves as President of Alzheimer Consulting Associates, implementing state-of-the-art Alzheimer care throughout the United States.

The bump to your wife's head probably did not improve her Alzheimer's symptoms. I would however relate this new information to your physician. He may have some insight into what other factors may have improved her level of functioning. For instance, a different or new medication may have been used during her hospital stay. I would also question if her pre-hospitalization condition was a result of an underlying illness or infection that could have been increasing her confusion; if that was treated in the hospital, her level of functioning certainly could improve once the medical issue was adressed.
I am sure this new turn of events will be of great interest to the medical team and hopefully they can offer an impression as to why this occurred. Continue to monitor your wife's daily use of speech and memory. Does the improvement remain? Has she returned to previous baseline that existed before hospital visit? Your input could be of help to others who may face a similar situation in the future. Do take care of YOU!

Llll answered...

My wife had a bad fall 4 days ago, with multiple lacerations to her face. She has had no med changes. At the hospital she had a CT scan and X-ray of her head. She used no pain Meds.

Just today I see improvement, able to cut up her food herself(fork)and spread jam on toast. Just as a test I asked her to get me a beer. She went right to the fridge with no prompting. A little later I asked her to. Get me a fork from the utensil drawer, she went right to the drawer!