Where can I find financial help for adult daycare?

2 answers | Last updated: Sep 14, 2017
Puzzlelight asked...

I am husband's care provider 24-7. I would like to take him to a adult day care at least two times per week, but I will need financial help. How can I get this? Please!

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for Caring.com.

Adult day care is a good way to manage both your husband's and your needs. There are several sources of financial assistance depending on your state, the facility you choose and your personal financial resources. If you meet the financial requirements, Medicaid may cover day care in your state. You can check with your local Board of Social Services to find out if you qualify. In addition, the day care facility needs to be certified to accept Medicaid. Is your husband a Veteran? The VA may be able to cover his day care. For this benefit, you need to take your husband to a VA hospital or clinic for a VA doctor to prescribe his care. Your husband also needs to enroll in the VA Healthcare System. This is done using VA Form 1010-EZ, which can be downloaded. Again, the day care facility needs to be approved by the VA. Sometimes there are county or local subsidies to assist seniors with paying for care. Contact your local office of the Administration on Aging for assistance. Finally, some day care facilities can work with you to design a program that fits your budget. Ask the director if they subsidize care.

Community Answers

Depkon answered...

If you contact your local Area Agency on Aging, they might be able to pay for some of the Adult Day Care Services. I work for an Area Agency on Aging and this is something that we can do for seniors, but funding is limited. It is certainly worth looking into.