Can I receive compensation for my health issues through my VA benefits?

2 answers | Last updated: Aug 07, 2017
A fellow caregiver asked...

I am a VA receiving help with medication.I now have had a sertous heart surgery and have a caregiver. Can I be compensated for my VA health issues and/or can my caregiver receive compensation.

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for

As a Veteran, you may be eligible for the Non-Service Connected Pension from the VA. If you are single, you can qualify for up to $1,644/month. If you are married, you can qualify for up to $1,949/month. Your eligibility and the amount you can qualify for are dependent on several rules. First, you must have served at leasst one day during wartime. (You did not have to be overseas.) You must have served at least 90 days on active duty. You must be over age 65 or totally and permanently disabled. If you are eligible, the amount of the benefit depends on your income and your caregiver expenses. If your cargiver expenses exceed your monthly income, you may qualify for the maximum. Your assets will also be taken into account. You should reach out to someone who understands this benefit. It can be tricky if you are not familiar with the application.

Community Answers

Cody usmc answered...

Again Barbara you are wrong a non service connected Veteran can only draw 1072.00 dollars for non service connected and if veteran is on Aid and Attendance can draw 1788.00 dollars a month little more if married .you are telling these people wrong.people go to your Va Counselor. And you must be considered home bound. To recieve the aid and attendance pension not easy to get. Your doctor's must state you are homebound. Look up Aid and Attendance Va pension.