How do I find an oncologists specializing in my type of breast cancer?

2 answers | Last updated: Oct 13, 2016
Mary12 asked...

I was diagnosed with a lobular cancer 2 1/2 years ago at age 60 with 22 of 24 lymph nodes positive. I had chemo and radiation and took Arimidex for over a year until metastatic cancer was found in my stomach. I cannot find a doctor anywhere who has treated metastatic breast cancer to the stomach and can find only very little on the internet. Any ideas of how I can find a doctor who has treated this?

Expert Answers

Andrew Putnam, M.D. is a Palliative Care physician at Smilow Cancer Center at Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale University.

Breast cancer that spreads to the stomach does sound rare. My suggestion to find a doctor who specializes in a specific type of cancer would be to go to a larger university cancer center. The oncologists there are more likely to be doing research and be more used to seeing unusual things. There are comprehensive cancer centers as well but generally for the unusual, larger and research oriented are best.

Community Answers

A fellow caregiver answered...

I have been taking Arimidex for the past five years post surgery,chemo and radiation for breast cancer. My doctor told me that the medication kept my levels of estrogen down in my body because the type of cancer I had was growing and thriving on the estrogen that my body was producing.