How Can I get 24/7 Care?

he has been in care home for almost 2 years as he is unable to look after himself. He wanted 2 bedroom place so that he could have live in care. he was assessed and now he has been offered the 2 bedroom flat. great. but, a new assessment has been done and the social worker cannot see the need for a live in carer. nothing has changed with my brothers health, he is not going to get better. he is now 60. what is my next step in getting a live in carer, even though the decision is not final.

Rosar answered...

Hello, Thank you for posting your question. Caring.com has resources that can help you locate housing options and care providers. To access Senior Care Directory click here: https://www.caring.com/local . You may also want to review the resources on Caring.com's In-Home Care Resource Page located at: https://www.caring.com/home-care. This page speaks on how to locate care, payment options and much more. If I can assist you with additional resources, please let me know.

1caregiver4u answered...

I'm a caregiver and I like to add to this thread, we go thru a lot as caregiver for the amount of money we get, first a social worker is going to look at the needs of the patient, what he/she can do for themselves , can they feed themselves the social worker only looks at the needs of the patient ability to actively function in daily activities and the there safety ,then they'll send in for approval, you'll get a letter with a breakdown of the areas the caregiver is needed and how many hours the patient needs the services of the caregiver , in my case they give me 1 hour to do the shopping, 20 minutes to cook a meal 45 minutes to wash and dry clothes , we know most machines takes 45 min washing and 45min drying 30 min. To separate clothes and 15 min to load etc. but I only get paid 45 min of all that time , I put more time into care giving then what I get paid for, ,the attitudes of the patient , that's another issue they can wake up with an attitude they make harsh remarks they don't need your help if they miss place something the caregiver gets the blame , nobody see the things caregivers experience unless you been a caregiver , I like helping my patient is a stroke patient with limited mobility takes over 17 prescribed medicine's , I hope that anybody who hires a caregiver know that we get lives can finger printed background checks and you'll be advised about anything on there report that is of concern then the ball is in your court to make the right choice , if they have abuse of the elderly or fraudulent activity towards any county or state agency they will not be hired if you still want to you assume the responsibilities and you sign a waiver , most caregivers go far beyond there call of duties ,caregivers only get paid for the hours there assigned rather it be 20 he's a week to 40 hrs a month anything more then that its on you to pay I get 1 hr to take the patient to the doctors appointment but we sit an hour waiting in the waiting room and I'm independent caregiver the county pays me in the riverside,California the hours I work don't match the money by far taking care of a stroke,bipolar, diabetes and heart patient is hard delicate responsibility I failure to do any of my duties could cost the patient serious medical damage or death keep in mind when you negotiate salary that the caregiver has a huge responsibility to care for your family member and the salary we get is not enough but the satisfaction of seeing you and the patient appreciate what we do is more satisfying and out weighs the salary we luv doing it or we wouldn't do it just appreciate more then words can say we'll be happy with that ,at least in my case this post is from my own experience's only and my differ from other caregivers or agency's who supply caregivers and independent caregivers