Does weight affect blood pressure?

Rozzer asked...

Does weight affect blood pressure? I had my blood pressure under control with medication for many years. Now my doctor has doubled my dose of metaprolol but my blood pressure is still high: 143/92. I think (I haven't asked my doctor yet) it may be the twenty pounds I need to lose. I'm about 192 now and 5'11". Could this be true?

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

Weight definitely affects blood pressure. Your BMI (body mass index) is 27 and should be less than 25. Losing several pounds will help to lower your blood pressure. Also watching/decreasing your salt/sodium intake, eating enough fiber and regular exercise are important to help control blood pressure. Take it a day at a time - Good Luck!

Rozzer answered...

It's kind of tough for us oldsters when our metabolism slows down. I always thought that was a myth, but it's not. I don't eat any more now than I did twenty years ago or forty years ago. But now it sticks and my weight goes up. I've never had to watch my weight before and it's a real pain to have to do so. Never eat dessert. Never eat snacks. Never have seconds. Only eat two meals a day. I can lose weight on one meal a day, but with two a day I gain weight. I have to somehow do only 1 1/2 meals a day. That should do it. Another problem is that I've taken up cooking in my retirement and enjoy it vastly! I make such damned tasty things! Makes it all the harder. Oh well. Excelsior, as they used to say.