Does the special circumstance on transfering property include a grandchild?

1 answer | Last updated: Sep 17, 2016
A fellow caregiver asked...

I read this special Circumstance: Three circumstances permit someone to transfer the home to a family member without either a Medicaid delayed-coverage penalty or a Medicaid lien on the property. A home may be transferred, without penalty or lien, to:•The person's adult child, if: (1) the child has lived in the house for at least two years prior to the parent moving into the nursing home; (2) during that time the child cared for the parent; and (3) that care allowed the parent to remain at home for that time instead of entering a nursing home. In this case it is a grandchild that has lived with and cared for his grandmother. Does this situation apply to the above circunstance?

Expert Answers

Barbara Steinberg is the CEO and founder of BLS Eldercare Financial Solutions, which specializes in helping families pay for long-term care for their loved ones. A registered financial gerontologist, she speaks regularly on the topic of paying for long-term care and is a financial expert for

As you found out, there are special circumstances that enable the house of a Medicaid recipient to be transferred to an adult child or a sibling of the recipient. However, these circumstances do not apply to grandchildren.