Is lower back pain a sign of something else?

Jenjen asked...

What could sever lower back pain signify? I get cramp-like pain all the way around the front of my lower abdomen with the back pain. Sometimes my upper leg area hurts as well. What could this be?

In the United States, back pain is the most common reason for people to come in to see their doctor. When back pain is severe, it can impact your quality of life, as you cannot do your normal activities. Severe lower back pain could signify arthritis, a disk problem, or a nerve problem in your spine. My advice would be to schedule an appointment with your health care provider, so that they can examine you and find out what is causing your pain. You may also need diagnostic tests, like Xrays or a MRI, to see what is going on with your lower back. Hopefully, you will be able to find effective treatments for your pain. Good luck!