Can my father's relatives keep me from seeing him?

Rowi asked...

My father is in the early stages of Dementia, and his relatives are preventing me from seeing him. I am his only child, a daughter. I live 2 houses away. They have even hired a caretaker, Mon 9:00am to Friday at 2:00 pm at his place, and she told me that I am not allowed to come to visit my father..... Well, I visit him every afternoon/evening still, but stagger the time so an not to be too predictable..... Well, for the last two weeks, or so, I noticed that family coming and going..... Sundays, I am there with him to prepare his breakfast, etc... and he welcomes same, we have much conversations together.

I have contacted a lawyer to start issues a letter, etc and then to start the relevant proceedings...

No one will keep me from seeing my father...... Pronto, I might take my time in doing things, but, for me.... I get it done.....

I live in the Caribbean.

Comments are welcomed.

Rowi answered...

NB... This morning, as is the norm, I went to visit my father, and saw a nephew there with a workman. I asked for my father, was told that he went out. Went out where? I asked. Reply, went somewhere!..... Next question, what are you all doing here? Reply, doing something!

so, I do not know where my father is, and when or if he is coming back.....

waiting patiently.

Marly26 answered...

Nobody has the right to keep you from seeing your father (NEVER) .I would be going and having a conversation with a most trusted Lawyer. Write everthing down as we do sometimes take a long time. Is your family worried that they wont' get a chunk of that!!! That would be my biggest concern, are they children/adults. I should address them as children because of what you have told me. Its nice to see him in the house /home. I am sure that you know where is his copy of the wil? I would get that, read through it or better yet, find it or ask him, but you have to say its just house spray to make the house smelling. This is something that you can have a copy of, or if not a copy. When I read things such as your story I get so uptight. I am sure that you are over the age of 18yrs. and this is something that should have been taken care of my prayers are with you. I wish for everything to be nice an Caring (I am a Healthcare Aide) for the past 10yrs. and I luv him dearly!! Again my prayers' will be of you and your father. Hope to hear from y

Rowi answered...

Thanks for your comments Marly 26..... I have already contacted a lawyer, and we are working towards a solution to the problem.... As for me, no one will ever keep me from seeing my father, never......

After last weekend blunder of taking him away, I have been there early today (Sunday) to take care of him..... He allowed me to shower him, and bring him to my mother's home for lunch....

And we had a wonderful time.... I hope his relatives are taking note, that I will not be dissuaded from seeing my father.

For me, it is one step at a time, allowing him to trust me more and more.

In time, I will be there for him fully, and that is what he wants... but his fear is that this relatives will be aggressive towards me..... I could handle my end, even if is with the help of a lawyer.

Marly26 answered...

I would definetly contact a Solicitor. He is your Father by blood. If need be call your local Police Station and have them accompany you to your fathers' home. I would also contact your Fathers' Solicitor to see exactly what is on his will. They wont' tell you all but they will tell you if he has said he doesnt' want you there, which is farthest from the truth. I honestly feel that they want you out of the picture so they can have someone take him to his Solicitor to change his will and him not understanding. I take care of my father-in-law and at one time he wanted all of his family on his will. He changed his mind and I spoke to his lawyer. He said have someone that I know go in with him (so family cant' say it was me who changed his mind) I am to wait outside. This way the Solicitor can back it up stating that it wasn't me or my husband in his office when this took place. It just looks better and family cant' say that you co-orsed him into saying anything. I wish you all the best. If his family were to get hostile with you again I would go with police assistance, you are his blood. I dont' understand these ppl. that feel they need a piece of the pie but to stop you from seeing him, oh yeah I would be seeing a Solicitor for sure as well as getting a warrant to stop them from being around him. Who says' they aren't trying to changed his mind. If it is proven that he is unable to speak for himself it should be you, his daughter there to speak for him. Hope this helps but I would really get a move on it before they decide to take another person into the Solicitors' office to have you weeded out. I am in Canada so I dont' know how the States or wherever you are handles such cases as these. All I can say is that I would be blowing a fuse at this time.