Shelby Nursing Center | Nursing Home

46100 SCHOENHERR RD, Shelby Township, MI, 48315

Reviews of Shelby Nursing Center | Nursing Home

jim d. April 04, 2016

I was a resident at Shelby for som 6 good, weeks and was more than satisfied with the care. the nursing staff, Nursing Aides were very professional and yet very personable and kind. Food was pretty good with some of the best mashed potatoes ever!! The therapy group was by far the stars at Shelby. I couldnt stand or walk and through thier fine work six weeks later I was able to walk out to the car, maybe not thee best. However, I could walk which was a small miracle in itself. All in alll a great facility

Satisfied Visitor8 February 23, 2016

My aunt was at Shelby Nursing Center for awhile. The staff was very caring and took very good care of her. It was very clean and nice and offered a lot of activities for her. Their dining room was good, but she chose to eat in her room most of the time. I saw their food, and it seemed pretty good.

Sonnen November 08, 2015

I was a patient at Shelby in 2013 for 6 weeks. As I was transferred by ambulance from a hospital in Detroit, I was not in the best of health. The nursing staff is stretched too thin, as were the aides. Forget seeing a doctor, they do rounds maybe once a week at about 5am. But overall, they are all good people. Physical therapy is twice a day, and they come get you, and bring you back. Food was pretty good, you choose your own menu for the whole next week. They have ice cream socials every afternoon in the dining room. They are free to visitors as well as patients. The aides take orders for those who are unable to get their own. The snack cart comes around in the evening, and if you need, they will deliver a meal from the kitchen, after hours. Previously, I was in a nursing home in Detroit, and if you want to compare a ghetto nursing home to Shelby Nursing Center, well.. there is no comparison. The staff is cheerful, and accommodating, but too many staff cutbacks gave this review only 4 stars.

Feed up wife January 30, 2015

My husband transplant physician referred him to this facility evidently he has no idea that this place is HORRIBLE! My husband has been here two weeks and it has not gotten any better. I was on the phone with him one day and he told me that he had rung for an assistant to get him some water it had been over an hour. I had to hang up and call the nurse's desk to get him some water. This is just one of the problems that he has had there. Pain meds is not given on schedule. Test not done in a timely manner. I would never refer anyone to this place and if he needed to use this type of center again he would never come here.

Caring65944650 July 29, 2014

The rooms at Shelby Nursing Center were clean and spacious, and everybody has their own TV. They have live entertainment coming in. They also do assisted-living there. They have what they call the ice cream social. You go down to the dining room, and there we eat ice cream in cones, or just plain ice cream in a dish. The staff is knowledgeable and personable. They know what they are doing. You can have your own food. They have a fridge. Their food is not bad, but it's institutional. The physical therapy is very good there that's what the place is for.

UNHAPPYwithyou June 04, 2014

My relative has been there awhile now. He is a hospice patient who is confined to bed due to cancer. I have seen personally how long it takes to get pain meds, to get a call light answered, stolen items, and a general lack of caring for the most part. I have seen him half off the bed. How long does it take to check on a patient?The nurse/manager has been contacted numerous times as well as the director of nursing and hospice. How long does he have to wait for a bedpan and them to return to finish cleaning him up? How long is a hospice patient supposed to wait for pain meds? How is eat supposed to eat if his food is not cutup since he is paralyzed on one side. Doesn't he have the right to be clean and well cared for?

Kim38 November 21, 2013

My father has just recently passed. I had him in the Shelby Nursing Center. The occupational therapy people there were very good. The facility was clean and well maintained. I just felt that the nursing staff was understaffed because when we would hit the button if he needed to use the bathroom, it just took a long time because there were so many patients and not enough nurses' assistants for help. I was not thrilled with the attitude of the staff but it wasn't all of them.

It's hard to judge on the whole facility when some of them were bad and some were good and not as cooperative or compassionate. When he needed help eating, there weren't enough people to help in eating than when he needed to go to the bathroom or get dressed. My dad had mental issues and they weren't really good dealing with someone with the later stages of Alzheimer's. I was in the process of trying to find another place for him before he got really sick and back in the hospital.

Nothing Available November 20, 2013

My mother was in this center & what a huge disappointment. The facilitiy itself was great, food was pretty good & thereapy was excellent. But the aids were rude, lazy & dishonest. The doctors were incompetent. My mother received incorrect meds for a week before I could get them to update her chart. After nearly 2 mos in there, she was in worse shape than ever. We moved her out as soon as possible. Terrible medical attention !

Nurse relative August 26, 2013

I am a RN. My mother came here from another facility and we had high hopes she would receive the care she needed. The place looks great but don't let that fool you. The physical therapy was very good but limited as to the times she went down. The nursing care is horrible. They immediately put diapers on her when she has never been incontinent. She has tremors and was unable to feed herself or lift and drink from a glass. Even though I spoke with the staff about offering her liquids on a scheduled basis they did not and she became so dehydrated they had to start an IV. One nurse told me she had to crush her pills and put them in pudding because "she took too long to take them and she didn't have time to wait" and also stated she had to drink a lot of water to get them down--which is what she needed. Another told her she couldn't get up due to the IV and she told them she couldn't go on a bedpan so the aide told her she would have to go in her diaper! When I called to see how she was doing that day the nurse didn't know one thing about her even though she had cared for her for 3 hours, using the excuse that she was a float. She still had to know her patient. When she said she would have to check the computer (not the patient) and then call me back in 4 hours I demanded to speak with the manager. In fact, over 2 days I spoke with two different managers and nothing ever improved. Nursing lacked critical thinking skills and didn't really care. Later her blood count dropped and they didn't get the repeated test result until 3AM which required a transfer to the hospital to receive blood. I would not recommend this place at all. They are very poor for patient care. Since our experience I have heard from several other families who had horrible experiences here.

caring7140 April 10, 2013

They had an ice cream social and some other activities that other residents seemed to like. Unfortunately, my dad couldn't participate because he is blind. It seemed like a very nice place, though.

LauraKay May 12, 2012

While our experience was not as negative as another posted here, it wasn't particularly positive either. As far as the physical condition of the place, it was wonderful: flat screens in patient rooms; clean smell; large bathrooms; soothing colors and textures; bright, well-lit common areas, but the care given there left much to be desired. Mom was roomed with a woman with echolalia (sp?) (an inability to stop repeating words and phrases) and it kept her from resting well. After a five minute visit, I was ready to pull my hair out! When she developed signs of unresponsiveness, they were very slow in recommending a trip back to the hospital. Mom was in bad shape by the time she left for the ER. Some of the aides were terrific. Some of them seemed almost hostile. The facility is very large and mostly occupied, so personal care might be difficult, but for what they receive in payment, it should be expected. I wouldn't recommend Shelby and would be sure that Mom was sent elsewhere if we find ourselves in the same situation again.

familyinmichigan February 28, 2012

My father was a resident of this facility. The staff did not follow his doctor's recommendations for his diet. Dad said they were not giving him his medication. The staff gave him breakfast which had a banana as part of the meal. They then told him that his potassium was high. If they had not given him the banana it would not have been high. They forgot to give my dad dinner one day. They also ignored his food request. They gave him a sheet to fill out as to what he wanted to eat. Every time he filled it out, they ignored what he put on there. The staff was rude and not willing to help. Dad had and accident and they made him wait in his dirty clothes, I cleaned him up myself. There was a resident in the facility that went into other peoples rooms and stole their dentures. My dad had his stolen while he was sleeping. If family was visiting, the staff got upset. I was fed up with the facility and I had a hard time getting my dad out of there. I will never take a family member to a nursing home again.

mary123 August 03, 2011

When i was visiting my aunt i was very happy to see how much they enjoyed the ice cream social. they looked playing bingo and it was great to see the staff be so caring to all the patients.

About Shelby Nursing Center

Shelby Nursing Center is a nursing home in Shelby Township, MI that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Shelby Nursing Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Shelby Nursing Center

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Shelby Nursing Center