Dogwood Estates

2820 Wind River Ln, Denton, TX, 76210

Reviews of Dogwood Estates

LauraSWEGG May 17, 2016

I would have placed my dad in Dogwood Estates had it not been for the distance. They were looking at what’s best for the residents, like when I met with the events coordinator, she was already asking Dad what he wants to do and his interests. They also catered some events during the various months toward the residents. They want to make it really great for him and make him feel comfortable and at home.

Caring112965650 September 29, 2015

We visited Dogwood Estates. I felt the layout of the place was excellent. It was well furnished and up-to-date. We really like that part of it. The staff seemed really nice. The rooms were small, but the dining room was lovely. We didn't see a two bedroom one bath. Their policy is you move into a one-bedroom and wait until a two-bedroom is available, and I didn't like that. Just based on that, I rate it a 3.

Fennol September 15, 2015

I have been to several Retirement homes in the Denton and Lewisville Area. There is no place like Dogwood. The employee's and Managers truly care about the residents. They are always there to make them smile and feel loved. They are the top rated retirement in Denton! A great place to call HOME!

Caring113769750 July 13, 2015

The grounds were good, and the inside of Dogwood Estates was nice. They showed me an apartment, and it was nice for a one-bedroom. I had lunch there, and the dinner was very nice. There was a group of people who were very congenial, so it was just a nice thing. I don't know about the outdoor activities, but I noticed that inside, it seemed like all day long they were having some kind of event going on. It could be arts and crafts, music, or whatever. They had a lot of things to do. The people were wonderful, and the person who guided me on the tour was great. All the people that I came in contact with were very congenial and very nice. The only bad thing about it was it is really expensive. It was great.

Caring107033050 May 17, 2015

I did visit Dogwood, and the people seemed to be very nice. But I had two problems with it: the cafeteria and everybody going down to eat. I am of a loner type; I am not really sociable, the apartment was so small, and I wanted more room. However, they have a very large dining room that was popular with the tenants; they were all there. I talked with one of the tenants, and she was very nice.

Kelly22 April 19, 2015

I visited Dogwood Estates for my parents. The staff was so friendly. We talked to them several times, and they were so helpful. They even made a floor plan for my mother with her furniture in there because we couldn't get it to work on our computer, so one of the staff members there worked it out for us, and I thought that was just really above and beyond. They were just great. It was a wonderful facility. It was fabulous -- e.g., the dining room and the activity rooms. They got their calendars with all the things going on there. They're just a great bunch of people. They had a gym class going on while we were there and an exercise class; some people were in chairs and some people were standing. They were all doing what they could. They have bingo, cards, and even a great big library. They have a movie room, which was set up more like a living room with a bigger screen. To me, that looked more comfortable than sitting in a theater chair. My father is a veteran, and they have a Veterans Club; on a personal level, that's important for my parents. It was just a wonderful experience. Their apartments were wonderful. One of things I really like about it was that they have a separate heat and air unit in each apartment. That way, it helps cut down on germs and disease, and each person can set a temperature for what they want to be comfortable with. Also it appeared to be a very secured facility.

Sally Golden April 07, 2015

I visied this facility several times and was just about to sell my home and move to a small apartment. However, one sales person told me people were expected to stay 3 years and leave. The rent goes up from $20 to $50 a year which might explain why people move after 3 years. Each time I visited I was given different information about the availability and rental options. The food is marginal. I would not recommend this facillity to anyone.

Hi Sally, I'm Katie. I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. I'm so sorry to hear that you had a negative tour experience at Dogwood Estates. I'm also sorry that you were feel as if you were told conflicting information. Please feel free to call us at Home Office at 1-800-370-8331 to share any other details, should you feel so inclined. We'd very much like to hear more details about your tour experience. Thanks, Katie

Caring9218 October 17, 2014

Dogwood Estates was very nice and clean, and the people were friendly. It had a feel of being in a grand hotel; they had a whole schedule of activities, and they had a pool table. They had one model room with a kitchenette and a bathroom. The room that we saw was small, but they had other options. The food was good. I would recommend the facility.

Curt3 April 09, 2014

Dogwood Estates was almost like a nice hotel. It was so nice. The rooms were spacious. The staff was very helpful. It was really clean and upgraded. It's just that the people there were a little bit older than I wanted because I'm 55 and I don't want to be with a bunch of 80-year-olds.

caring6503 September 26, 2013

The therapist recommended Dogwood to us. They are expensive, but very nice. This would be probably the place that I wound end up if I go into a facility. I like the ambience of the place. I went at lunch time and the food was okay. They have a lot of activities. They have a bus that takes the residents to their doctor's appointments. They have maid service every week. The rooms are spacious. The apartments themselves are not huge but they are comfortable. It's a very, very nice place. I would recommend this facility.

njm0059 October 13, 2012

This facility is a great place for my grandmother to live. While she was living in New Jersey she was confined primarily to the house and needed to plan visits to the store with family members. Now that she is living at Dogwood Estates things are planned for her. The facility has several activities a day for the residents to partake in. She loves to partake in the daily exercise with her new friends. The weekly trips to the markets help her to stay active and experience small parts of texas. The menu that they have gives my grandmother options to choose from. My grandmother is a very particular eater and yet she is satisfied with every meal. In short this community is helping my grandmother make a smooth transition to Texas and into her golden years

Robyin August 31, 2012

I appreciate Dogwood Estates. My dad lives there and I pop in and out frequently and also have dined with him several times at Dogwood. It is a nice and safe place. The management team have really worked hard to make my dad's transistion as easy as possible. I have heard the complainers in the dining room. Face it, some people just complain, especially as they get older. My dad is one of them. He always asks for extra helping of something at dinner and they always give it to him. He just needed to remember to ask. He has actually gained 5lbs in the four months he has been there, although he would tell you he is starving to death.
I see why management would rather the residents didn't get up during the meal service. There are too many servers moving quickly while many of the elderly do not. It's a matter of safety. But there is no "regulation" that says you cannot get up if you need to use the restroom during a meal.

The management team, Hershel, Donna, David, and Anita have been excellent in trying to get my dad plugged in at Dogwood. They have also called me and kept me up to date on matters that have arisen they thought I should know about.

TexasCowboy January 14, 2012

My Grandpa lived at Dogwood Estates for over 4 years and was so happy there. He was blessed to have s place he could call home when we could not be there.

Granny81 December 19, 2011

I have lived at dogwood for 2 years now. It is beautiful and caring place. The staff and managers are wonderful. They have become my 2nd family. Unfortunatly I remember the bitter lady that F1nac03 is referring to. When she came to Dogwood she had been at every area senior location and left with lists of complaints. It was a group of her peers that requested the manager to speak to her concerning her bitter complaining about everything. It became so bad no one wanted to sit with her durning meals except one man that was deaf. The staff are saints for have to deal with such unkind people.

F1nac03 September 12, 2011

I'm relating some incidents that happened between April and July and involve intimidation and bullying of the resident.

About two weeks before the resident was scheduled to move to another facility, a manager said to the resident as she got up from breakfast, "Come on right now." She then led the resident to her office, closed the door, and announced, "We have had a report that you have said negative things about Dogwood." The resident was in a state of shock, feeling that she'd been treated like an errant child, and after that incident, the resident reports that she "got the silent treatment" from all four of the managers.

None of the four managers spoke to her again until moving day when they confronted the resident about the movers, who were carrying furniture through the lobby. The movers later told the resident that there was no way for movers to please the manager. They too were treated badly at Dogwood.

Residents were told not to get up to go to the bathroom during a meal. That rule was soon changed, and residents were instructed to sit at the edges of the dining room if they thought they might have to go to the bathroom during a meal.

AMyers July 13, 2011

While Dogwood IS good with cleanliness inside and excellent landscaping outside, this is only the surface, not the substance. I consider the substance: Client safety and happiness FIRST. Unfortunately, the rather "set-in-stone" regulations tend to forget the individual client. These people are our elders and I think deserve to be honored and pampered. One or two of the Management needs lessons on how to treat people with dignity and respect and not brow-beat or preach to them about regulations if they have a special request or need extra supplies once in a while. If it doesn't cost anything to give a resident a 2nd helping of cake (since left-over cake is going to be thrown out anyway), why call the server on the carpet for serving a 2nd helping of cake?

From Dogwood Estates

Dogwood Estates is located in Denton, TX, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Dogwood Estates for a visit...and stay!

Features of Dogwood Estates

• Hiking trails

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Dining extra: Private dining room