American House Westland Venoy Senior Living

1660 Venoy Rd., Westland, MI, 48186

Reviews of American House Westland Venoy Senior Living

FanishaLBAAU May 11, 2016

We visited American House Westland Venoy. They gave out a lot of information, and answered all of the questions. The rooms were fabulous. It was a really nice place. Everybody was very nice. The atmosphere was very warm, and inviting. I saw a therapist giving therapy to someone, and they were doing exercises in a room.

Sherry122252450 March 27, 2016

American House Westland Venoy is a nursing home changed into a senior residence. It also used to be Venoy Nursing Home years ago. They changed the name, but it remained the same inside. It smelled. People were being wheeled off in wheelchairs. I did not see activities going on. At night time, it is located in a bad crime area. The staff seemed distracted and uninterested in showing me. I was a distraction to them.

Dennis37 February 17, 2016

American House Westland Venoy was OK. However, they only had a few spots for assisted living. The place was a little bit older and not as spacious as the other ones I’d been to. Because it was an older building, you could tell that the rooms weren’t as spacious. The staff was great. They answered our questions. As best I can remember, the place was clean, but it was just an old buliding.

mswartz December 09, 2015

I was at the American House on Venoy for their Christmas party last week to celebrate the holiday with my aunt. The decorations were very nice and the food was great. All the residents seemed to be having a wonderful time. The staff for both American House and The Medical Team were very helpful in assisting both families and residents. We had such a nice time, that we did not leave immediately, we wanted to stay visit with my aunt for a few moments afterward. As we were walking out, we walked through the dining room and heard someone yelling and scolding the staff really loud from the kitchen. We noticed it was the Director of the building and thought, this was so unprofessional and inappropriate!! I don’t know if this is typical of her or the way American House is ran, but it sure put a damper on the evening and made me question if my aunt should be in this facility.

Belle1 November 30, 2015

I was very impressed with American House - Westland Venoy. I didn’t see any activities because it was lunchtime when I toured the building, but I saw the different parts where they would have different activities.

Cindy114683050 October 28, 2015

We were interested in the American House because it was close to my father's home and a couple of places he like to go, so we thought that if we had to get him transportation, it would be easier than to have him going out of the area. It was important for him to stay close to the area that he's familiar with. I thought everybody was OK. The room was small. They have efficiencies and studios, which are the cheast and bigger rooms yet was still only a one room with a kitchenette and a small refrigerator. The food was good, and the staff seemed friendly. I liked the location and the price. They had bingo, play cards and have entertainment that comes in every once in a while. They did have an Activity Director there. They do exercises in wheelchairs; it was all wheelchair-based because there were a lot of people in wheelchairs. I think it would be nice to have a full-sized refrigerator instead of the little refrigerator. They were in the process of painting, which I think will help make the area a little more welcoming.

Stacey13 August 12, 2015

We went to American House Westland Venoy, and I did not like it at all. As soon as I walked in, I did not like the atmosphere. I don’t like the smell. I was taken into a room that smelled like pee, and I wasn’t happy at all.

Dear Stacey, Thanks for sharing your experience. Having an inviting community is paramount to the well-being and satisfaction of our residents and we take that very seriously. Your honest feedback ensures we understand your concern and enables us to address it promptly. If you have any suggestions on how to make our community more inviting, please do contact me at 734-326-7777. Warmest regards, Elizabeth Churnesky, Executive Director

Anonymous111193350 July 29, 2015

American House Westland Venoy had very pleasant staff. It was clean and affordable. One thing I really liked about it was the medical care. It seemed like they were responsive to the residents’ medical needs. I think it is a good assisted living place.

Thank you for your positive comments! We are happy to help residents in any way we can and do our best to offer them expert, loving attention. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with us! Warmest Regards, Elizabeth Churnesky, Executive Director | 734-326-7777

Margaret109885050 July 21, 2015

I visited American House Westland Venoy, and it was a very positive experience. The staff was very friendly, and the place was very clean. All in all, it was nice, but the rooms were a little small. They had a sign-up sheet going to the baseball game, to the local farmers market, and to other different events that happen in our city. They also had rehab coming in, and they had a beauty shop and barber shop within the facility. I didn't have an appointment, but the woman was kind enough to show me the facility. She told me to be back to eat supper if I wanted to. They did have a place where visitors needed to check in and check out, and I was under the impression that someone was in the front office 24 hours.

I’m glad you had such a positive experience! Our staff takes great pride in being able to accommodate visitors and residents on a daily basis. We are dedicated to offering quality affordable living options for seniors and residents at our Westland Venoy location find their apartments quite comfortable. The activities and services you also observed are just a few of the many great amenities and services American House provides. Please call me if you have any questions - and thank you for leaving your feedback. Warmest Regards, Elizabeth Churnesky, Executive Director | 734-326-7777

Caring114178450 July 21, 2015

American House was a very nice place, and the people were nice. However, I didn’t get to see the memory care unit, which is what I needed and have acquired if I was going to put my loved one in that type of facility. They did show me a unit, and they said it would be comfortable to whatever would be in the memory care unit, but I didn’t get to see the part that I needed to see. It was a self-contained room that included a bathroom within the room. It had a separate bathroom, but it was within that unit, and other than that, it was just a large room. It was community dining, and it looked-like it was inviting; however again, I am not sure if the people that would be a part of the memory care part of the facility would have eaten in the community dining room. The place did not meet my needs because I didn’t really get to see what I was looking for, but overall it was a very nice place. The residents that were partaking of the community dining seemed like they were well adjusted.

Thank you so much for your visit and for taking the time to leave us a review. Your kind words about our staff are greatly appreciated. I am sorry to hear you were unable to see a Memory Care unit at the time of your visit. Please know you are welcome to call me directly, with any questions regarding the Memory Care unit and information on the services we provide. My number is 734-326-7777. I look forward to assisting you at your convenience. Warmest Regards, Elizabeth Churnesky, Executive Director

Caring109006550 June 30, 2015

American House Venoy was good. The staff was awesome. They took really good care of my great aunt there. She got all her meds as needed. They wheeled her to activities and made sure that she was participating as much as she could. The atmosphere was very nice. It was homey. The rooms were very spacious and very accommodating. They were definitely wheelchair accessible. They have wheeled-in bathrooms. They're really nice.

Thank you for your positive feedback on American House Westland Venoy! It's great to hear that our employees took such great care of your loved one. In fact, at American House, that's one thing we are most proud of - we treat all residents as if they're members of our extended family! If I can be of any assistance in the future, please contact me! Elizabeth Churnesky, executive director

Caring102101250 February 24, 2015

American House was clean, and they had nice rooms. They didn’t have extra care like giving medicine without the extra cost. It was an old building, and the neighborhood was not in a very good area, but it was pretty safe. The dining room was really nice.

Thanks for leaving your feedback! We find that since not every residents needs the same amount of care, offering extra services is beneficial. If you have any questions or concerns, I'd be happy to address them for you personally if you'd like to give me a call.

Sincerely, Elizabeth Churnesky, Executive Director 734-326-7777

032 October 25, 2012

I feel confident that my relative is in a safe, clean, and caring environment. My father-in-law is a quite individual whom takes enjoys the privacy he can maintain and when he is the mood participates in the outings that are scheduled. When I visit the staff are friendly and attentative. When I have brought a concern to them it was addressed immediatly. I felt as they were watching over a member of their family.

Many of our residents are just like your father-in-law: they enjoy their privacy, but also like to get social when the activity is right. Just like in any other family, right?! Because that's how we feel, too. Thanks for your confidence in us "” we appreciate it!

Sincerely, Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director, 734-326-7777

MissjDon July 06, 2012

This facility was only the minimum of what was to be expected of it. The grounds were usually kept descent, but there were always random loiterers who never left the property and sometimes lurked around at night around the cars and trash cans. I don't recall any crime there though. My uncles unit was very spacious and did have everything he needed just like a regular apartment. One good thing about the facility is that the staff was nice, although sometimes they did take a while to respond to the needs of the tenants, but when they were available to be around, they were very helpful. When my uncle's refrigerator went out, they did replace it the very same day, although it was a couple of hours later, but the food didn't spoil, so we were thankful for that. The amenities were very basic, but, none the less, they did work. There were call buttons in places for emergencies. One of the main complaints that I had was that there were a lot of things that needed to be updated inside the unit where my uncle lived. The appliances were being updated in a lot of the units, but that was around the time he was moving out. I saw some of them, like the updated stoves with the clocks and different color cabinets and they were also replacing the carpets. Another good thing was that they did always plan activities for the residents and it did seem like they enjoyed themselves. All in all, the place was descent, especially if it was all that could be afforded, but truthfully, it wasn't worth what they charged.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your thoughts about the American House Westland Venoy location! We are always interested in listening to any suggestions from our visitors and make every effort to improve things whenever possible. What sets us apart is our variety of activities and our wonderful staff, who truly care for our residents "” so thanks for noticing! And you are correct; we do update our furnishings when appropriate. In addition, we do our best to take care of and protect our residents and we feel the area is safe. If, however, you would prefer another area in the future, please remember that we have 27 other locations that may suit your loved one. My door is always open, so feel free to stop by to discuss any questions you may have.

Sincerely, Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director (734) 326-7777

Delane1 July 01, 2012

American House is just close to where I live and it was affordable. When I went in to looked at it, it was very clean and comfortable. It was just really nice and well decorated. The people there were very friendly and nice. They have flowers around. The furniture looks new. They have rocking chairs outside so you can go sit outside if you want to. They have a lot of recreation things. The room that my mother has is quite good sized. It has one bedroom, a kitchenette, a bathroom and a big closet.

Delane1, Thank you for leaving your feedback for the American House Westland Venoy location. We take great pride in making sure our residents are comfortable and happy with their surroundings. Hope your mother is enjoying herself!

Sincerely, Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director (734) 326-7777

kshamrock20 April 19, 2012

This American House is located in a rough area. I did not feel safe while traveling in the area. The staff was nice and my friend's Grandfather was happy with his little room. They called it an apartment, but I wouldn't go as far as to call it that. It was basically a small room that he lived in. His Grandpa was a nice man who had lived in that area for most of his life, so he was familiar with the home. He lived in what was called assisted living, but he didn't need much help. He didn't complain about the home, but I thought, very generally, that the smell was a little funky and that some of the residents looked unhappy. Of course, that doesn't mean it had anything to do with American House. I wouldn't recommend this location, as it looks more like a home for low income people. However, if this is your best option, I think I would trust the staff to keep it clean and keep the resident happy. Again, the area isn't the greatest, and it is located on a busy corner. There isn't much of an outdoor area for the residents to enjoy. I hate to speak unkindly of the area, but, again, if you have the money, I would look elsewhere.

Dear kshamrock20,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate you recognizing how nice our staff is and that you trust them to keep your loved one happy and his or her home clean, as that is what we strive to accomplish every day. We're sorry to hear you did not like the area, but please know we make every effort to keep our residents safe. In our experience, many people find comfort living in familiar surroundings so we're grateful your friend's Grandfather is happy in his studio apartment. While we don't offer low income housing, we do take pride in offering quality affordable living options for seniors in the area and appreciate your comments as we rely on these to improve our living experience for residents and visitors alike.

If, however, you are interested in a different location, we have several communities throughout the area that may be in an area more suitable for you. Please let us know if we can arrange a tour. Visit americanhouse.com for a complete list of locations and again, thank you for your feedback. Should you ever wish to speak personally, my door is always open or you can contact me directly at 734 326 7777.

Sincerely, Dawn Steckroth, Executive Director

From American House Westland Venoy Senior Living

A comfortable, convenient one-story community, American House Westland-Venoy is ideally situated near family, friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Westland, Wayne, Garden City, and Livonia. American House Westland-Venoy is also located close to hospitals including St. Mary Mercy Livonia, Garden City Hospital, and Botsford Hospital. Westland Venoy Senior Living provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Our senior apartments are all ground floor studios with private baths on peaceful landscaped grounds. We also have a community dining room, activity rooms, and comfortable lounges for socializing.

Our Activity Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips, and staff members are available 24-hours a day. Resident Services also include scheduled transportation and restaurant-style dining available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Laundry and housekeeping services, medication reminders, PT Clinics, and other services are also available.

American House Westland on Venoy is a warm, comfortable environment with a very homey feel. We pride ourselves on making our residents feel that they are at "home." We provide great quality care for a reasonable price. Stop in and visit us anytime!

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

Minimum Monthly Rate: $1,495/month

• Pharmaceutical Service
  • Separate Therapy Room
  • Pet Permitted

Resident Services

• Restaurant-style dining available for breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • Available housekeeping services

• Visiting Physicians
  • Physical Therapy Clinics
  • Personal Care Assistance
  • On-site Home Care Agency
  • and other available support services

Features of American House Westland Venoy Senior Living

• Private services

• We offer respite care (short term stays)

• Technology extra: emergency response systems

Location of American House Westland Venoy Senior Living