American House Southland Senior Living

25250 Eureka Rd., Taylor, MI, 48180

Reviews of American House Southland Senior Living

samsmom81 March 06, 2015

My mother has been a resident at this facility for about 4 years. I looked at at least a dozen other places in the metro Wayne area before choosing this one. One thing I have learned over the last 5 years since my mothers stroke is that there is good and bad in every situation. Trying to care for aging, sick relatives is very stressful and it is never easy to leave their care in the hands of others. At this location, I am happy to say it is almost always good. The staff overall have been very friendly and helpful. The food is good. The apartments are well kept and they respond quickly if any problem develops with the unit. The American House Management team is also very pro safety which is so comforting when you can't be there yourself.

We know that it's difficult to trust others to care for your loved ones, so I'm grateful that we are able to set your mind at ease. Please don't ever hesitate to ever call me, personally, if you have any questions or want to check in on your loved one.

Caring106413650 February 20, 2015

I did try to visit American House in Taylor. I just wasn't happy with that, but I couldn't put a finger on it. It was just a feeling. I didn't feel as comfortable in it as I did in the other facility. Everybody was nice to me, and everybody was accommodating. I just didn't feel comfortable for some reason there. I didn't think that my mother was going to feel comfortable either. It was just a gut feeling or a kind of intuition thing. The staff was very helpful, and they were very kind. They answered any questions that I had. They did have some vacancies, and they showed me the rooms. The rooms were tiny, but I can't expect it to be huge and spacious because they don't have the room and the price will go up. Regardless of what the room was or the staff, I just didn't feel comfortable. I saw the dining room, but I didn't eat there. They did have a bus, and a bunch of them were getting ready to go to the grocery store. They could use that bus for doctors' appointments too, but they have to reserve it a couple of days ahead.

Thanks so much for leaving your feedback! I'm glad our staff was helpful and accommodating. I'd be happy to talk to you personally about the possibility that one of our other American House communities would be more of what you are looking for, if you'd like to call me personally. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Caring75290950 September 27, 2014

My mother and I visited American House. She didn't like the place. The staff who assisted me during my visit was good and friendly. I haven't really tried their food or observed their activities. All the rooms had patios, but my mother didn't like it.

Moving to a new place can be difficult for anyone, so it's understandable your mother may not like a new home, wherever it is. Hopefully you both can come back - I'd love to show her (and you) all the activities we have, such as seasonal trips and our very own American House Choir! Plus, we have a talented chef designing menus and preparing delicious meals for residents. Call me or stop by and I'd love to go over everything with you!

Caring79222550 February 27, 2014

American House was within our price range. It was brand new, just opened up. Mother got a brand new apartment that was freshly painted with new carpet. She is pleased with the apartment because it's laid out very similar to what she had before. I think she's as happy as she can be in the condition she's in. There are not a whole lot of people there. I didn't think she'd get lost in the shuffle. There are like 80 people in it so it's relatively small.

The building is a refurbished building and they need to fix the heat because the heat is stuck on high all the time. They've already changed out all the tubs and made them shower stalls. They don't have the kitchen totally set up yet. They bring the food in from another American House. The other American House is only a mile down the road. Once they get those things done, I don't think that there'll be anything to complain about.

I do know that they have card parties and they have different types of trips to places and they have movie nights but my mother doesn't participate. The staff is all very young but they're very nice. I like the caregivers because they have just adopted my mom as if she was their own. One girl takes her to help her do chair exercises and she uses her as a sample for the other people to follow. It's the only way she can get my mom out of her apartment. They really go out of their way trying to get her out and about.

Thanks for leaving your feedback! We’re working on making sure everything is in top shape, so I appreciate your patience. Our residents prefer it a little warmer in the winter months, but all of our apartments have individual controls. It’s nice to know that you like our staff since they do indeed work hard at treating residents like family here – and maybe your mother will find she is interested in one of our other upcoming events or activities. If you or your mother ever need anything, please don’t hesitate to contact me personally!

Betty40 January 18, 2014

If I had to move my mom, my first choice would be American House. The staff seemed more outgoing and the facility was much brighter with much more natural light. It was more pleasing. We were familiar with the facility and the services because my aunt was a resident there years ago before she passed away. The accommodation was fine. She had two-bedroom apartment, which was very nice with a small kitchen and a balcony where she could have plants and things. I knew they had bingo and other activities. They could improve if they could be more affordable because they were just out of reach for a large number of retired people.

I'm pleased to hear that American House would be your first choice! I'm sorry for the loss of your aunt, but I'm glad she enjoyed her time while she was with us. Please keep in mind that our services and amenities are offered on an a la carte basis, which is more affordable because our residents only pay for what they need. If you have any questions, please call me personally and I'd be happy to help you.

Caring74308950 December 02, 2013

I did visit American House. I didn't like the neighborhood that it was in. The staff there was very accommodating and their rooms were about the same as with the other facility I looked at. They could improve though on the cleanliness of their facility, like their dining area and their lobby. With regards to food, in the scale of 1 to 5, I would give it a 3.

Thanks for leaving your feedback! While this area is home for many, we do have quite a few other locations a short distance away where you may like the neighborhood better. If you call me directly, I'd be happy to talk with you about your other options.

Sincerely, Cassandra Lowe, Executive Director (734) 946-9900

Doris15 October 18, 2013

American House was too far away for my son so I didn't want to live there. The people were having fun though and they were doing Wii bowling. The staff seemed to be nice enough and interacted with the people. I liked best that interaction between the staff and the residents.

Our staff loves being able to spend time with our residents (and the Wii is a big hit around here!). We have a few other communities that may be closer to your son if you are still looking for a place to live. I'd love to tell you about them!

Sincerely, Cassandra Lowe Executive Director (734) 946-9900

ShannonW October 12, 2012

I was rather impressed with the facility. Given the things one sees on the news and reads online about conditions in assisted-living facilities, I was a bit anxious the first time I visited said relative (whom I will call M) at the American House. She seemed to enjoy living there when I spoke with her on the phone prior to visiting, but what one says and reality are not always the same thing.As I said, I was impressed. The grounds were well-maintained and looked very nice. The staff members I came in contact with were all very polite and helpful, and they seemed generally very fond of M, and she them. M had a tendency to distrust people by default, so there were a few she "wasn't sure of," but I imagine that would be the case anywhere she lived.She seemed to get along with the other residents well, also. There was one resident who seemed to dislike her, as she told me, but, again, such things happen anywhere.I did notice a bit of litter near one of the doorways, but I brought it to the attention of a staff member, and she seemed attentive enough, going off to find someone to attend to the problem.Overall, it seemed a good place for M to live. I would have rather her live with family -- everyone would I imagine -- but barring that possibility, it seemed a good, clean, healthy place for her.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad that you have been impressed with our community at American House Southland, and that we've been able to make the transition go smoothly for "M," yourself, and your family. Although I can understand that you'd rather have "M" stay with your family, I hope that you can consider our community as part of her extended family now! My door is always open. Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Sincerely, Nina D'Onofrio, Executive Director, 734-946-9900

kshamrock20 May 03, 2012

I had been familiar with another American House not far from this location. I expected the same environment, hospitality and care. I will say that this particular American House was a step up from the other location. As a whole, it was cleaner, smelled better and the staff was polite. My girlfriend and I made about four visits to this place in a little over a year. I found it pleasant enough and the outside of the building was always immaculate- lawn and all. I had conversations with a few residents who thought that the food wasn't bad at all, and from what I could discern, most of the residents seemed to be well taken care of. I'm not sure how much the cost was to live at this particular home, so I can't compare the facility with any price context, but overall, it looked like an affordable place that provided solid care for its residents.

Dear kshamrock20,

Thank you for leaving your review. We are happy that this location exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed the friendliness of our staff. It is our goal to make sure our residents are happy here and that they enjoy the comforts of home from delicious meals to lovely landscaping.

We appreciate your positive feedback and if there's anything we can help you with in the future, please give me a call at (734) 946-9900.

Thanks again! Nina D'Onofrio, Executive Director

From American House Southland Senior Living

A bright, elegant three-story senior living community just west of Telegraph, American House Southland is ideally situated near family friends, shopping, and familiar medical professionals in Taylor, Allen Park, Southgate, Romulus, Melvindale, and Lincoln Park. American House Taylor is also located close to hospitals including Oakwood Heritage Hospital and Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital. Southland Senior Living in Taylor provides Independent Living with assistance available.*

Apartment options at Southland Senior Living include 1 and 2 bedrooms - all with full kitchens, living rooms and private baths. Property amenities include laundry facilities, beauty salon/barber shop, theater, a new physical therapy clinic, and much more.

Restaurant-style dining is available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. An Activity Director plans a wide range of cultural, social and recreational activities and trips. Resident Services also include scheduled transportation and 24-hour on-site management. Laundry and housekeeping services are also available.

*Medical support services provided by a third party not affiliated with American House.

Reimbursement

Private Pay, VA

Property Amenities

• Physical Therapy Clinic
  • Beauty Salon & Barber Shop
  • Theater
  • Laundry facilities on each floor
  • Chapel Services