Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen

1420 Curci Drive, San Jose, CA, 95126

Reviews of Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen

Elysse February 29, 2016

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen was good, but it was a little bit older, and then it was farther away from my house. The staff was friendly. They’re good. The apartment was big but it was a little older.

We appreciate you taking the time to write us this review. We will share the feedback with our community team. Please don't hesitate to reach back out with any questions or additional comments.

Joyce119984450 February 10, 2016

At Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen, the people were very nice. I did eat lunch there, but I didn’t like this community as much. It doesn’t have any particularly interesting neighborhood. It is located on a busy street. As you walk out the door, you wouldn’t have any interesting places to go. It also does not have valet parking. Other than that, the rooms, and the people were nice.

We are happy to hear that the people you met at Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen were nice and provided a positive experience. We also appreciate the feedback regarding the location. If you have any additional comments to share, please don't hesitate to reach back out to us.

Visitor32 December 26, 2015

We visited Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen. It sounds like they had a lot of good care, but they are not flexible either for people with mild dementia. They said they have to go straight to the memory clinic, and my mother is not yet ready for that. The place looks pretty clean. I feel that they are too pushy, too pricey, and not flexible, but the staff is friendly. The rooms looked nice.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We are sorry to hear that Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen isn't a fit for your mother at this time. If you have questions or additional feedback, please don't hesitate to contact us directly.

cdavis1 December 21, 2015

Merill Gardens was very nice. I liked the people and the atmosphere. The rooms were nicely laid out. We saw the dining room also, and the food is excellent. There could have been a little bit more activity in the memory care area.

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review. We are happy to hear the you enjoyed Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen. Please don't hesitate to contact us with additional questions or feedback.

Anonymous117655550 December 17, 2015

When we drove up to Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen, there was a very bad stench in the street. It almost gagged us. Apparently, they were cleaning out some kitchen vents that had to be cleaned out once a month. We went inside, and we were assisted by a woman who was very pleasant, very helpful, but she admitted that they had a serious problem with this stench. She didn’t take us around, because we didn’t qualify because my husband has dementia, but the people inside were pleasant.

We appreciate you sharing this feedback with us and we apologize for your experience. We are glad to hear that the person you spoke with was pleasant and helpful and we hope that you and your husband have found an option that meets your needs. Please don't hesitate to reach back out with any questions or additional feedback.

Caring112430250 September 07, 2015

Everything seemed nice at Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The rooms were fine, but one room makes me feel too claustrophobic. I don’t want my commode in my living room, although they also have apartments. I thought of going there; however, they can't take me due to my medical problem.

Thank you for writing us this review. Your feedback is very helpful and we appreciate you taking your time to give us this information. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us with any additional comments.

Barbara105968650 April 30, 2015

Merrill Gardens is very nice. It was clean and well appointed. The folks there were very friendly. I thought the staff is very friendly and accommodating. The accommodations were nice and had a nice size. If we end up picking a place, that is probably where we would have landed.

We are so glad to hear about your positive experience at our community! Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. We will be sure to share it with our team. Please don't hesitate to reach back out to us directly.

Debbie104777350 April 27, 2015

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen is very nice. I got to see two bedrooms there, and it was very nice. There is a bedroom on the right side which looks more like a den, but it had a bed in it. On the other side of the living room is another bedroom which is a little bit larger, and it had a small bath. The staff was very friendly and even invited us to lunch. I called ahead of time and made arrangements so they knew we were coming. They had a luncheon ready for us, and it was great because we got to order what we wanted. I ordered a hamburger very rare, and it came that way. The cook came out to see if it was OK so I thought that was nice. The staff was fantastic, it was really good, and I got very comfortable there. I was very pleased.

We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your experience at our community. We are happy to hear the great feedback! If we can ever be of assistance, please contact us directly.

Caring98593950 September 08, 2014

I live very close to Merrill Gardens. My visit was nice. They gave us a tour. They let us have lunch there. The food was excellent. It was very, very good. The rooms were very beautiful. They were brand new and very large. It was a very clean facility. The bathroom was very wheelchair-accessible; it was very large and very nice for people in wheelchairs. However, the rooms were very expensive. The facility itself was gorgeous. The dining room was beautiful. Overall, it was a beautiful fancy place. They had activities and they had a pool table and a big library. I would recommend this community to those who could afford it and if they're looking for a higher end place.

Caring9980 April 18, 2013

I lived at Merrill Gardens and it was a great place. It was new and well-built. They had every service you wanted to have. And they had the best activity director I ever met. They served food three times a day for the whole week. It was an excellent facility and I would recommend it to anyone who wanted to live in San Jose.

jlutze June 27, 2012

I really liked the atmosphere of this facility and it was more open and upbeat than I thought it would be. The resident seemed happy, and the staff seemed courteous and friendly. While resident had varying abilities the facility seemed to accommodate all of them in an individualized manor and they all seemed happy. I spoke to several residents who were charming and spoke well of the facility. They said the rooms and nursing staff were knowledgeable and kind. I asked the staff what kind of services they offered and they seemed diverse and able to accommodate all. I was struck that the place felt homey and that there was a real sense of community among the staff and residents. The meals didn't get such positive reviews however as some residents complained that they were repetitive or poor quality on occasion. Overall I had a god time, something which I did not expect and would recommend this facility to anyone who needed it.

LoriannaB April 07, 2012

I was very impressed with the facility and the activities that were offered to the residents. I sat in on one chair yoga session and thought that the residents really enjoyed the time spent with the instructor. The facility had a lovely neighbor hood to walk in, with a park just down the street and had a wonderful main room with dining center and lobby. All the people that I met were very nice and welcoming and I would recommend it to anyone.

Caring466732 January 18, 2012

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen is nestled in a quaint community in San Jose, CA - It has close access to the 280 freeway and is easy to find. The staff is warm, friendly, and helpful; they treat the residents like family members. It is a perfect size, not too big and not to small; which is good because it provides diversity in character and allows residents to mingle with ease. The amount of outside activities they provide for the seniors is just right, the seniors are not overwhelmed with choices, and they find interesting things do like a field trip to the culinary institute for dinner or a mystery drive. The on-site activities are well balanced some being arts & crafts and gentle exercise programs. They have an activities room with 2 computers for residents to use (each resident recieves an e-mail account and has the opportunity to communicate with loved ones via e-mail, but will need to know some basics as there are no lessons provided on the computer) with a large screen television for movies and the Wii (which the residents love to go wii bowling). The rooms are nice sized and they have kitchen amenities so the residents can still cook for themselves or entertain their guests. The facility food is very good, healthy, and the wait staff is very accomodating. Residents are provided portions that allow them to feel fed but not overfed. I have been in this facility when there is an emergency and the staff is completely on alert and on the ball. Emergency services are close by. Parking for visitors is not bad and I have never walked more than a block to my car. I have docked a star off of this facility for one thing and that is the location is not close enough to places where residents can get out with their walker or scooter to walk to a grocery store or a drug store. For seniors to be able to take little jaunts for their own needs is good exercise as well as this helps them retain a little bit of independence instead of relying on the van or shuttle to take them.

Jack Alexander July 22, 2011

This facility is located right in the middle of shopping. There are lots of cafes and coffee shops around.

The grounds are nice, but it's a city feel, so the grounds aren't very big. It's a high rise that looks nice from the outside.

The common areas are very attractive and well-furnished. They have a library, a computer room, and a fitness room. I assume they have exercise classes for the residents there.

This facility offers independent living and assisted living. The residents have very nice studio, one-bedroom, or two-bedroom apartments. The apartments have kitchen areas, though I don't know what features those kitchens have.

The food is delicious. They have a great chef. The food is nutritious, and they work with residents on any dietary restrictions they have.

The staff is very helpful, and they are caring and kind to the residents. I'm sure there are some RNs and LVNs.

I don't know much about the activities, but it looks like there are a lot of them.

From Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen is located in San Jose, California. Willow Glen is like a small town neighborhood, with a tree-lined main street populated by outdoor cafes, coffee shops, boutiques and bookstores. Our community includes independent and assisted living apartments and Alzheimer's care. There are 98 apartments with a combination of studios, one bedroom and two bedroom apartments. Our apartment-style community offers all the amenities of a home without the hard work. Imagine a life without household chores, yard work or home maintenance. Invite guests to a meal, special event or social outing. With our on-site Active Living Director, scheduled transportation and Anytime Dining Program - there are opportunities to make friends or entertain old ones right outside your front door. Welcome to Merrill Gardens, a one of a kind retirement community.

Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen offers independent living, assisted living, respite care, and Alzheimer's and dementia care.

New residence --- Walking distance to outdoor cafes, coffee shops, boutiques & bookstores --- High-ceilinged, airy building --- Library, Living & meeting areas with wi-fi. --- Piano, Pool table, Centrally located gym, dining room, and laundry room --- Underground lot for resident --- Easy access to Cathedral Basilica of St. Joseph & San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles. Close access to Meridian Avenue --- Landscaped grounds and courtyard. Complimentary internet access. Nearby Vasona Creek Trail.

Features of Merrill Gardens at Willow Glen