The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place

13150 Dorman Road, Pineville, NC, 28134

Reviews of The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place

July 13, 2016

By Alisa224734

The Laurels & The Haven was a little dated. They could definitely use some updating, some new carpeting, a new format for their decorations, etc. They still have furniture that was really popular in the '80s, which makes it dated. There were other qualities I liked about it, like the three different wings, so that they did not have so many of the residents in one spot. The rooms were set up in a circle around the nurses’ station so every room could be seen by the center part, which I liked. I think they’re very competent as far as the medical staff goes. It just seemed a little dated.

Thank you for your input, we appreciate it. The Laurels & The Haven offers a variety of floor plans crafted to fit our residents' individual needs and budgets. All rooms are regularly maintained and periodically updated and renovated. We would like to invite you over for another tour to showcase a variety of accommodations available, also what a flourishing, vibrant and outstanding community The Laurels & The Haven really is. Please visit our web site to schedule a tour here, we would love to see you back https://www.fivestarseniorliving.com/communities

May 27, 2016

By JM662348

The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place was very nicely set up. They had a small downtown right in the center of it, little offices that looked like stores that the residents can walk around, and the wide-open common area. A couple of the people had come out and were more than happy to show us the rooms inside. Everyone seemed happy. The dining area was set up like a cafeteria. The staff was excellent, very warm, and receptive. You felt like you can drop somebody off there and not have to worry.

March 31, 2016

By Robin121851850

My first impression of The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place was really good. They seem very helpful, and overall, we're pleased. My mother has a one-bedroom and with a full handicap bathroom and a kitchen area with a refrigerator, a microwave and a sink with some cabinets. She has a nice closet in her bedroom, a television hookup, and big windows. With all nursing home staffing, you get good ones and you get bad ones. We had a really hard time getting them to help her with her bath on a regular basis. About every month, I have to call over there and check, and nobody's helped her to do that. My mother needs very limited care, and that's really about the only care she needs because she has a fear of falling. The staff turns over a lot. The food will be pretty good for six weeks, and then it will be pretty bad again. The food is the biggest frustration for her because vegetables are always so overcooked and don't have any flavor, so they're mushy and not usually in a wide variety. She says it's always potatoes. You can tell when the cook changes because the food changes.

Robin, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place. We value feedback from residents and their families and use it to help us continually improve. Regarding your comments on the food please contact us so we can arrange a tour of the kitchens and an opportunity to speak with the head of our dining services for you and your mother. We know that the dining experience is a very important aspect of life at The Laurels & The Haven and strive to accommodate the food preferences and tastes of our residents.

March 18, 2016

By Family Member15

I like the fact that The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place has a very bright atmosphere and set out in the country. The surroundings were very nice. The residents seemed to be very happy.

January 13, 2016

By Sharon118749250

My parents are at The Laurels and The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place. The workers' attitudes are very good. I’ve been very impressed with the staff. My parents really like the food. The common dining area is set up with individual tables all around the room, where they place different people together. They have plenty of activities, like different types of workouts, bingo, and music in the great room, which has a piano, a fireplace with gas logs, and lots of wingback chairs and couches. It is a huge room, and people like to go there. We got my parents a one-bedroom apartment with a huge bathroom, which has worked out really well. It is very nice. We are very pleased with it. I like that the facility is so nice as well as its proximity to my home and to where my parents used to live.

December 21, 2015

By Chicago girl

The Laurels is a very large and a very nice facility. The people that greeted us at the door were very friendly, and the people that give out medicine were very nice. The rooms were very nice, and the bedroom was large.

October 29, 2015

We visited The Laurels & The Haven. The staff was excellent, accommodating and very friendly. The CNAs were a little bit better than some other places, and the turnover was not that great. It's really lovely. The rooms were spacious compared to some other facilities. They redid their dining room and their living room a while back, and they looked real nice.

October 29, 2015

By Angela K.

I liked that the Laurels had an old-world charm; the décor was really cute, and I think it makes residents feel very comfortable and at home. They just seemed very warm and friendly. They had some really great outdoor space. They even had a little play area for the kids when they come to visit with a nice old playground, which was something I never saw at the other facilities I have gone to see.

September 29, 2015

By Caring113119650

I visited The Laurels. I specifically like it had six dining areas which would mean that the residents wouldn?t have to walk very far to their dining areas. I also like that I can see residents interacting to other people. Their accreditation score was very good as well.

August 15, 2015

My mother-in-law is actually going into The Laurels & the Haven. It is an outstanding place -- very nice -- and it is three miles from our home. She came down for a visit and really liked it, so she is pretty much looking forward to moving there. We visited two or three places, and this is by far the nicest of them all. It is very nice and probably less than six or seven years old; they had very nice rooms, very nice dining facilities, and everything else that we needed for her.

August 01, 2015

By Sesmith731

My grandmother has been in this facility for 7 months. Before she went she constantly read, was walking better than most 89 year olds and was attentive for someone with alziehmers/dimentia. With in 7 months the facility has removed the carpets and put in hardwood floors (why you would do that with a bunch of elderly using walkers is beyond me), she has been put in the wheel chair with an alarm on her if she even tries to get out of the wheel chair, she has gained over 50 LBs and it hasn't been addressed/ dealt with,I or my family has been and there have very few or no staff in her neighborhood and they have been completely rude or ignored the residents, there have been times that the soap dispensers have been completely empty in the bathroom. The place is awful.

July 21, 2015

By anonymous109126950

The Laurels & The Havens in the Village at Carolina Place was absolutely the best place I have ever been to. The person I talked to was outstanding. I could not ask for a better place. It was beautiful and clean. The food was fantastic. The people were friendly.

March 07, 2015

My mother is in The Laurels at Carolina Place. The staff is very attentive and very professional. The rooms are always kept clean, and they are very roomy. It is very secure, and we are very comfortable. The food is great, and the dining room is also great. It is very open, airy, and very clean. They have bingo, music, entertainment and travel programs. They have singers and choral groups coming in. They take bus trips to local stores and sometimes to the restaurants. It is very well done. It is recommended to us, we find it very well done, and I will definitely recommend it to others.

January 26, 2015

I visited The Laurels one time, and I liked it very much. It's just that I wanted to stay in South Carolina. The rooms were spacious, but I didn't like the smell, and the carpets were dirty as well.

January 06, 2015

By Nancy100101850

We looked at The Laurels & Haven, but things did not work out here. They evaluated my husband, but it's not a good fit. The facility is very good, but it is not as homey as the other facility we have chosen. It is very near the hospital. The rooms are very nice, and the grounds are very nice as well. It's just not a good fit.

November 30, 2014

By Parentsdaughter

My parents lived at the Laurels for about 2 years until they passed away. The Laurels Assisted Living was originally recommended to us by word of mouth. We visited many facilities in the Charlotte area and found that it definitely provided the nicest and largest living arrangement for my mother and father. They had plenty of activities and social events for making new friends. What really makes a place feel like home, however, is the staff. Not only did our family like the staff but my parents, and especially my mother (who still wanted to be living in her own home) genuinely liked the staff. Of course there were times when things didn't go so smoothly (as always happens everywhere in life) but when it really counted the Laurels was fantastic. They knew what they were doing and they cared while doing it. It's not easy to move out of one's home and into a strange place, especially when one is getting older and life is getting harder. The Laurels went above and beyond to make my parents' experience as uniquely comfortable to them as possible. I think it is a wonderful place with wonderful people.

July 14, 2014

By Icy McGinnt

With mom, it was her independence, or more accurately, the losing her independence that concerned her. With her daughter (me), it was her safety. Finding The Laurels met both our concerns. From the moment we walked through the doors we felt at home. She feels love and care everyday from David in food service making sure she is happy with her food to Darius in maintenance who jumped up, left his lunch one day to assist her with lifting something and everyone in between! Her caretakers are so sweet and helpful. They always tell her how pretty she looks. And her independence? Well let me just tell you. She is far more independent now than when she lived alone. Independent of waiting on someone to get her to the grocery store. Independent of yard work. Independent of the fear of falling and being alone. She even rides the bus to some doctors appointments without depending on me. She is very independent and she LOVES The Laurels! I do too!!!!

July 11, 2014

By chapstick

We chose the Laurels because of the 24/7 nursing and the all-day dining services they offer. My mom likes to sleep until 10:00 some days and she can still have time to get up, dressed and then get breakfast at 11:00. Everything and everyone is very nice and more convenient than any other community we visited. We couldn't be happier.

July 11, 2014

By mlawson1054

This is a great place. My parents were in another community in Charlotte before moving to the Laurels. The Laurels fits their needs 100%. Quality of care is excellent. The staff is friendly. And the quality of food is better than other communities in the Charlotte area.

June 19, 2014

By Elaine19

My husband is at The Haven in The Village at Carolina Place. This facility is one of the better ones that I've looked at. Mostly the staff is good, and their security is great. They can't get out of there; all the doors are coded. They have private rooms and semi-private rooms. The rooms are a little smaller. The only thing I can say that I don’t care about there is that they don’t have a shower in each room. They have a bathroom in each room with a sink and a toilet, but I would prefer a shower. They have two showers that everybody uses. That is the only negative I can see. The food is good.

April 30, 2014

By Debbie82688250

Mom is at The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place. It's a great facility, but the care is not so great now. In the two years she's been there, we've seen it go downhill. They have one or two attendants who are very attentive to the residents, but the rest of them are just there for their pay. Her apartment is very nice. The cost has gone up, and the care has gone down. I think they should be more attentive to the individuals there. The staff tends to get frustrated with the residents because of how they act sometimes.

March 18, 2014

The Haven is very nice. It was clean and they had a crafts room. The rooms are spacious and they have a selection of items in the menu.

October 31, 2013

By wilcom

This facility is designed exclusively for the care of residents with Alzheimer's disease. The staff and administration are very caring in their approach when dealing with residents. There are a number of activities to keep the everyone busy during the day. The meals are well prepared and taste very good. The facility is clean without any objectionable odors. The structure has a lot of natural light with high ceilings. The residents can go outside and enjoy the fresh air when the weather is nice with walkways, grass, plants and flowers that are attractive and well groomed. The facility is very open and attractive to the residents.

June 12, 2013

By Jennifer17

The Laurels is a very, very nice community. It's gorgeous and it was thirty minutes closer to me than the other ones I visited. Everybody there was really helpful. I couldn't imagine anybody not liking to stay there but I just couldn't afford to get my father in law in there.

March 21, 2013

By tinabug98

The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place seemed like a really good place and the layout was really good, but I'm not pleased with it at all. The staff has been in turmoil since we got there. They lost the director, then the nursing director, and the staff who work with the people directly do not care. I complained and they did nothing. Those people are still there and I think it's just they were against everything cheap. The food and the care is cheap, and it's bad. The only thing they furnished is the closet, which is broken. They have spelling activities for Alzheimer's patients, bingo, ice cream socials, and they take them out occasionally. I don't have a problem with their activities. They can improve on the food and hire people that actually care about the patient. My mom has Alzheimer's, so she can't tell you if she likes it there or anything.

May 27, 2012

By llcckk1

I have a friend who has a family member in this facility, they say they are very happy here. The staff and the enviorment of the facility are all in very good standings. I went to the facility to visit with my friends family member and really enjoyed first hand the attention not only did my friends family member recieve but I recieved as well. The entire Laurels staff welcomed me and assisted me with directions on how to get to the resident I was visitings room and also talked to me about how I was doing and how I was related to the resident. They seem like majority of the staff at the Laurels really do care and not to mention how neat the facility is. I really feel like this would be a good place for one of my loved ones to live and I am thankful for the care that my friends family member is recieving there as well.

May 08, 2012

By TinaR3

Other

This facility has a great sales pitch, but their follow through is nothing to write home about. My mother, who was at the beginning stage of dementia, went to live there after having had a stroke. They placed her at a dining table for her meals with 2 women who had had debilitating strokes and could not talk. This was extremely upsetting for my mother. On the 3rd evening there, she started complaining of pain in her leg. I told her to tell the nurse when she came around with her medicine. The next evening, I went to see her after work. She was still complaining of pain in the same leg. I asked if she had told the nurse and she said the nurse had just given her Tylenol. The staff had been bringing my mother's meals to her room for 2 days, because she said her leg hurt too much to go to the dining room. I felt her leg and it was cool to the touch. I called our doctor's office. They told me to bring her to the ER. Turned out, she had a blood clot in her thigh and one in her aorta. If I had not visited her that night, she could have lost her leg, according to the doctors. The night my mother was released from the hospital, I went to the Laurels at about 10pm to pick up her medicines. We had decided we were not going to bring her back there to live, so we brought her home. I went in and out of the facility about 5-7 times carrying armloads of my mothers things out to my car. No one stopped me to ask who I was or what I was doing until about the 5th trip. I could have been robbing somebody blind there. The front door was not locked and there was no staff whatsoever in the lobby area. Also, during my walks in and out, I heard a man yelling "Help!" over and over from his room, where the door was ajar. There was no aide in the hallway for over 10 minutes of this. I finally poked my head in his door and asked him if I could help him with something. He was 1/2 raised up in bed and shocked to see me. He asked who I was. I told him my mother lived there and I had heard him calling for help. He said he was ok, that he just gets nervous. I held his hand and chatted with him for a few minutes until I was sure he was ok. He was quiet the rest of the time I was making trips in and out with my mother's things. Seems he just needed a little TLC, which was lacking from the staff at The Laurels. This is not a place I would recommend anyone leave their loved one.

October 26, 2011

By Balangao

This place is phenomenal! After three other places my mother was, this was by far the most caring, the best equipped, the staff was dependable, much more "giving," much more honest. I saw Administration zero-in on one who secretly mistreated a patient. No more stealing from patients at this facility.

Photos of The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place

Services & Amenities of The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place

• Minimum Memory Cost: $3875/month

• Minimum Age: None

• Licenses: North Carolina
  • State Licenses: HAL-060-104

About The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place

We've thought of everything at The Laurels at Carolina Place! The building is designed around individual neighborhoods, each with it's own personality, which fosters closeness and community within the residence. Each neighborhood contains a mixture of one- and two-bedroom, alcove, and studio apartments; each is handicap adaptable.

Residence features include a private, lockable entrance, individually-controlled thermostats, a 24-hour emergency call system, smoke detectors, a beautifully-appointed living room with a fireplace and a piano, an ice cream parlor, a community/activities room, a wellness room, and a hair salon. In addition, our residents enjoy a glassed veranda, which overlooks our landscaped yard. And for your dining pleasure, we provide three delicious meals a day, served restaurant style in our dining room.

The Haven is an assisted living residence designed, programmed, and staffed for individuals with early, middle, and late stages of Alzheimer's and dementia.

Tailored to enhance dignity and foster independence, The Haven has licensed, onsite nurses and offers a progressive approach, which encourages family participation through care planning, education, special events, and support groups.

* 24/7 Nursing! We are one of the few assisted living communities that offer 24/7 nursing! * In-house therapy! Our own FiveStar Therapists working with your loved one! * All Day Dining! Come down for a meal anytime between 7AM and 6:30PM. No strict dini

Map of The Laurels & The Haven in the Village at Carolina Place